Sta-moly jackets

marlowjoe

Who is the supplier for them? And how do they compare to others? J4,Hines ect., ect.,

thanks for your time to respond.

Sta-moly jackets come from Hines. They are as good as one can find today. I know this because Bart Sauter uses Hines' jackets and his bullets are superb.

sta moly jackets

I've used them, they are very good . I also have used Sierra jackets and J4.
J4 in my opinion are just as good if not a tad better then the other two brands , as to run out,
All three will make excellent bullets if you do your part.
sierras right now are the highest price {when in stock} The Sta mo;ys Hines are next and J4 the lowest price on the most common sizes we use in benchres.
When you get tp the short 30.s .925 and 1 inch Sta moly are pricey compared to J4 '
The prices are on the web sites, LIke bruno for J4 and sierras site , also stamoly has a site, check it out

Sta moly

JD thx for the info. Question? Are they a soft jacket? That fouls the barrel easy. Someone asked and I could not say, I normally use J4

thanks for your time to respond

sta moly jackets

I haven't had any trouble with any of the brands as to hardness,
I believe though that sierra jackets foul a bit less. IT takes quite a few rounds with out cleaning to see the difference.
I doubt that you will have any trouble with any of the brands as long as you clean the barrel properly
Gerry

Thank you Gerry, I am Looking to make my own bullets and just trying to get the pro's advice. Next is to get some dies made.

thx again

Stay-moly, Bart's or Hines are all the same thing! Are they any good? Yes they are! Good enough to win the Super Shoot!

Gerry, J4's price was double of what it is now! If not for Hines I'm certain J4 wouldn't have slashed their prices.

Bart

sta moly jackets

True Bart I remember when they doubled their price . we went to sierra just like you. The Hines got into selling some to us.
I had a talk with them at the time suggesting that they set up some kind of distributors. At the time Jeff was the only one with their jackets.
Now because of that they lowered their prices back to some where near normal.

Can you purchase jackets only

Can you purchase jackets only from Hines ? As far as I can tell the only way you can obtain a bullet made on these jackets is to buy bullets from a manufacturer who uses them.

Can you purchase jackets only from Hines ? As far as I can tell the only way you can obtain a bullet made on these jackets is to buy bullets from a manufacturer who uses them.

Jackets cannot be bought directly. You can get Hines jackets from one of its three distributors Stay-moly, Bullet Central or Bart's Custom bullets.

I have noticed that the Sierra jackets point up to shorter bullet than the J4´s, about 0.010". Core seated jackets are pretty much same lenght. Anyone else with the same experience? What about the Hines jackets?

I haven´t had a chance to use Hines yet, but would like to try in the future.

sta moly jackets

That might be due to the different punches used to make the jackets. Both sta molly and sierra usually measure out to .810.
but if may be due to material flow rate. J4 are at .825. There may also be a bit of difference in the material hardness and where at what stage the material is annealed.
some where in the draw process the cups are annealed to allow drawing down to the correct sizes.

Maybe George will chime in on this.
come on George.

Last edited:
Gerry,

Thanks for your input. I have no good explanation as to why it happends. I use .825" sierra jackets, and they are pretty much the same lenght as J4s after core seating. They just stretch alot less during pointing. Strange stuff! Its probably something with the difference in the jacket wall between the two.

Gerry,

Thanks for your input. I have no good explanation as to why it happends. I use .825" sierra jackets, and they are pretty much the same lenght as J4s after core seating. They just stretch alot less during pointing. Strange stuff! Its probably something with the difference in the jacket wall between the two.

Hardness

Once upon a time...I bought a big bunch of J-4 jackets. James Messer and I bought more than anybody should buy. I drove to Silva, NC, had a James Messer special lunch, and drove back home with a car load of jackets. I had a fancy jacket measuring tool and measured the jacket walls. Couldn't believe that any J-4 jacket could measure that poorly. OK...these jackets needed to be sent back and I called Eric Stanton for direction. Eric responded other than I expected. He said the jackets couldn't possibly measure that poorly and I could return them but would have to pay the shipping. I didn't have money to burn but realized that my bullets had to shoot pretty good so I "bit the bullet" and sent them back. Eric must have measured them because he returned ALL my money.

That said, James Messer called me a few days later with a request to buy some of the jackets back. A few more days went by and a couple of other bullet makers called to request the same. Turns out, those jackets that measured poorly made some of the best bullets ever! No, I didn't make a mistake measuring the jackets....Yes, they made good bullets.

I wrote all that to say this...Make some bullets and shoot them. Sell all that measuring equipment and simply make some bullets.

Stay-moly, Bart's or Hines are all the same thing! Are they any good? Yes they are! Good enough to win the Super Shoot!

Gerry, J4's price was double of what it is now! If not for Hines I'm certain J4 wouldn't have slashed their prices.

Bart

DITTO that - well put, Bart!:eek:

Once upon a time, a dear uncle of mine and I were looking into drawing jackets - we, "chickened out"!:p
I had a cousin, who worked in a lab, up at the university, so, I talked him into an analysis of of J4 and Sierra jackets. Of the two different Lots of J4, his results proved to be: 92% copper/8% zinc; 90% copper/10% zinc;
two Lots of Sierra were both 95:5%. My understanding is that the Hines/Allied Precision Tool are supposedly the 95:5% alloy.

They all make excellent bullets. In my experience, the wall uniformity of the Hines jackets has been equal to exceptional J4 Lots - that is, <0.0002" wall-thickness variation. I confess to being anal about jacket "quality" - especially wall uniformity - George Ulrich (sorry, George - not!:p) always tells me I'm nutz! :p

I won't bore you with all of the [measurable] differences comparing the three - Wilbur, as usual, struck the nail soundly - acquire some of each, make some bullets a shoot them - then you'll know.;) RG

DITTO that - well put, Bart!:eek:

Once upon a time, a dear uncle of mine and I were looking into drawing jackets - we, "chickened out"!:p
I had a cousin, who worked in a lab, up at the university, so, I talked him into an analysis of of J4 and Sierra jackets. Of the two different Lots of J4, his results proved to be: 92% copper/8% zinc; 90% copper/10% zinc;
two Lots of Sierra were both 95:5%. My understanding is that the Hines/Allied Precision Tool are supposedly the 95:5% alloy.

They all make excellent bullets. In my experience, the wall uniformity of the Hines jackets has been equal to exceptional J4 Lots - that is, <0.0002" wall-thickness variation. I confess to being anal about jacket "quality" - especially wall uniformity - George Ulrich (sorry, George - not!:p) always tells me I'm nutz! :p

I won't bore you with all of the [measurable] differences comparing the three - Wilbur, as usual, struck the nail soundly - acquire some of each, make some bullets a shoot them - then you'll know.;) RG

This is the issue that plagued J4 at one time. Lot to lot material differences were all over the place, wall thickness variation was usually pretty good. As we can see from the analysis, they were indeed quite a bit harder than the others. I haven't had any J4's in years, so don't have a clue if they still have these jacket material consistency issues. While I've seen less than stellar wall variation on some Sierra's, one of the best batches of bullets I've ever made were on one of those lots. Last year, I got a very good lot of Hines .820's from Bart, that not only run out great, but put little holes in the paper as well...

This is the issue that plagued J4 at one time. Lot to lot material differences were all over the place, wall thickness variation was usually pretty good. As we can see from the analysis, they were indeed quite a bit harder than the others. I haven't had any J4's in years, so don't have a clue if they still have these jacket material consistency issues. While I've seen less than stellar wall variation on some Sierra's, one of the best batches of bullets I've ever made were on one of those lots. Last year, I got a very good lot of Hines .820's from Bart, that not only run out great, but put little holes in the paper as well...

Hal, this mirrors my experience also. As a rule, Sierra jackets do not always "measure-up" to the J4 wall-variation standard (0.0003" or <), however, on more than one occasion, when I grumbled, I was advised [by Sierra], "they meet our standard - you own them" - these were 0.0004" jackets. :( I couldn't have afforded to scrap $10K, so,I sweated blood and shipped bullets . . . about three weeks went by, and the phone began ringing, "got more of those jackets? Make me 5K more!":eek:;) That's the way things go. RG

Last edited:
Back