Spotting scopes ?

R

rrendina

I am looking for input on a spotting scope. I will use it for 600 yard silhouette matches. As it stands now, I have a Leupold Sequoia 45X. The scope is relatively clear but as with many spotting scopes the focus adjustment is just not fine enough. I find I am either focusing behind or in front of the target and rarely am able to see the target clearly.

I know from experience that with optics you usually get what you pay for. That being said, a co-shooter has an Astele 60 WF spotting scope he purchased a few years ago for $36.00 and it was clear as any high end scope I have looked through and the focus adjustment was really precise.

So does anyone know of any sleeper scopes out there that may have the finer adjustments, clear image and lower cost? Something that you have actually looked through and adjusted?

Thanks.

try the search function?

This topic has been covered a hundred times, on this and most other shooting forums. As to the idea that a $36.00 spotting scope is as good as anything you've ever seen, well then that sounds like your best bet. Maybe offer him forty bucks for it. Ahem...

If your budget will allow a bit more room, then you'll likely see some good ideas by using the search function.

Here's a good article on spotting scopes on another forum: http://www.6mmbr.com/spotterreview.html

Last edited by a moderator:
make sure you get a model with the ed glass,makes all the difference in the world,just picked up a used cabelas big sky with ed glass & so far it's the best i've tried & was under $400

I would doubt that

I am looking for input on a spotting scope. I will use it for 600 yard silhouette matches. As it stands now, I have a Leupold Sequoia 45X. The scope is relatively clear but as with many spotting scopes the focus adjustment is just not fine enough. I find I am either focusing behind or in front of the target and rarely am able to see the target clearly.

I know from experience that with optics you usually get what you pay for. That being said, a co-shooter has an Astele 60 WF spotting scope he purchased a few years ago for $36.00 and it was clear as any high end scope I have looked through and the focus adjustment was really precise.

So does anyone know of any sleeper scopes out there that may have the finer adjustments, clear image and lower cost? Something that you have actually looked through and adjusted?

Thanks.
but I guess you never know. I have never found any cheap optic to be equal in performance to a quality one...ever, but that's just me. You can't go wrong for 36 bucks. Take the plunge. Otherwise buy a Nikon or Pentax ED spotter. --Greg

There are some Chinese manufacturers trying to break into the scene. Saw some good examples at SHOT last year. Some were will to make them as cheap as $150 with ED glass. You would have to buy quite a few though.

Best Value I found is the Vortex stuff. Very, Very good, exceptional warranty and priced right.

I use a Pentax ED 80mm scope. It's a little big, but resolves with the best of them for under $1000.

If you are looking to read the wind (heat waves) 27x seems to be the best power found at Highpower Matches. Also zoom lenses cut way down on the clarity.

I used a Houwa 80 mm. with 3 different lenses. 27x, 40x, + 60x. No zoom!!!

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

Thanks, the Chinese or Russian products are likely what I am looking for. What I am trying to see with better clarity is the bullet impact on a black silhouette before it falls over, difficult to spot if you are out of focus.

I agree you loose much clarity with the zoom, the problem is that most moderately priced scopes are variable magnification. I have other spotter scopes and binos that work exceptionally well for other disciplines and hunting, but the scope I seek now is just for 600 yards.

I had considered a Celestron type scope but was concerned about the near focus. I read that many of these scopes have a feature that allow terrestrial viewing and image orientation correction. This is similar to the Astele scope I looked through.

I understand that usually cheep ain't good and good ain't cheep. I have read on other forums, posts where someone is looking for a long range rifle that shoots 1/4MOA, 36X optics and fires a commercially loaded round that is real cheep and he is willing to spend all most $400 for everything.

What I was asking here, as I respect the efforts that many here put into there equipment and testing is, has anyone come across a scope that was surprisingly clear and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks again

The Key

Quality in a spotting scope begins and ends with the eyepiece. Obviously, optical clarity and water resistance will be important factors. In the normal price range (an oxymoron), Pentax is hard to beat. If you can keep it out of the rain, the Questar Field Model is the best. One last suggestion, do not be cheap on a stand or tripod.

The

Thanks, the Chinese or Russian products are likely what I am looking for. What I am trying to see with better clarity is the bullet impact on a black silhouette before it falls over, difficult to spot if you are out of focus.

I agree you loose much clarity with the zoom, the problem is that most moderately priced scopes are variable magnification. I have other spotter scopes and binos that work exceptionally well for other disciplines and hunting, but the scope I seek now is just for 600 yards.

I had considered a Celestron type scope but was concerned about the near focus. I read that many of these scopes have a feature that allow terrestrial viewing and image orientation correction. This is similar to the Astele scope I looked through.

I understand that usually cheep ain't good and good ain't cheep. I have read on other forums, posts where someone is looking for a long range rifle that shoots 1/4MOA, 36X optics and fires a commercially loaded round that is real cheep and he is willing to spend all most $400 for everything.

What I was asking here, as I respect the efforts that many here put into there equipment and testing is, has anyone come across a scope that was surprisingly clear and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks again

way a Celestron or Meade catadioptric scope gives you correct view images is through a 45 or 90 degree amici prism into which you insert the eyepiece.

The key to a quality spotter is good glass from the objective right on back to the eyepiece.

The answer to your last question, imo, is no but that depends somewhat on how you define costing an arm and a leg. Pentax has some good spotters in the 500-700 range. Good luck. --Greg

Really

I have a Leupold 12 X 40. (Water proof also means dust proof)

I use it for hunting and for silhouette matches over 15 years now.

We usually set it between 20 - 24 for high power silhouette matches.

I would be happy with a fixed 20 or 24 power scope for silhouette matches.

Buy the best you can afford. Cheap junk scopes will give you tired eyes.

Kowa make great scopes (see Champions's Choice), HOWEVER I don't know if they are water proof.

Heck when at a match ask to look through others scopes and see what you like.

Heck when at a match ask to look through others scopes and see what you like.
I did that and everyone there agreed the cheepo Astele was as crisp as any of the other high end scopes there under the conditions at the time. Now it was bright and sunny, no mirage and under a covered shooting line. This scope wont see harsh conditions or intentional rough handeling.

I have other spotters for hunting, pistol Silhouette and Bullseye Pistol. I'm just looking for a inexpensive replacement for the Leupold Sequoia that won't focus.

As of now I am checking into a few scopes:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-25x-75x-70mm-xts-2575-spotter-spotting-scope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-c130mm-mak-spotting-scope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-konuspot-20-60x100-spotting-scope.html

Pun Intended-

"Looking into a spoting scope" Ihave two of theBausch & Lomb BALscope Sr. 60mm telescopes that I usually take to a match and set up. There may be four to six scopes set up in a line, most people that want to see a target look through the B&L. I don't think they produce those scopes any moore, but you may find an old one reasonable? NO, I don't want to part with mine. DO buy the best tri-pod you can get!!

Get one now, it's a whole year till Christmas!

Steve Moore

I just got a Konus 80 for christmas. It is not a kowa but I like it very much. I have used my friends Kowa on a few occasions. The focus is a lot finer then my old champions choice 60mm. The tripod is pretty flimsy but the glass and focus is real nice for a $200 scope. I don't know if the glass is nicer then your Leupold. It has a much larger field of view then my 60mm and clear around the edges with no distortion that I could see. 223 holes in a caldwell shoot-n-c target at 300 yds were visible for shots on the lines. In the past 223 shots on the lines were sometimes not visible thru my Leupold Mk4. My NF 12x42 can see them most of the time on the lines. I would recommend a Konus to friends looking for an affordable scope.

Interesting, Konus is one of the scopes I am looking at. This scope will be primarily used for 600 yard work. Have you viewed and focused this scope at that distance? If so is it clear and in focus? I think bullet holes are more difficult to see at that distance than the bullet strike on a black steel plate.

Thanks

Update

I drove over to Scope City, they have just about every brand and model I was interested in. Looked at the Konus 20-60X80, 20-60X100 and a Pentax 20-60X100. I could not see any difference between the 100 Konus and the 100 Pentax. The person assisting me in the store, a guy that looks through scopes and such all day, couldn't tell the difference either. After several minuets and numerous jumps back and forth between the two, he felt the color was slightly better with the Pentax, but the image was just as sharp in the Konus. I could not tell the difference. I am only looking at black Silhouettes, not scenery or wildlife so the $1800.00 Pentax was certainly not what I needed. After torturing myself over the Konus 80 or 100, I gave in to the 100 and purchased it. My reservations were the size of the 100. But I don't carry it more than 25' from the truck to the firing line and I already own three smaller spotting scopes that I use as previously stated. Late next month after I fire a match, I will post a full accounting of this scope, and how it performed as my 600 yard spotter.

Thanks for everyones input.

I guess the next step up is a better tripod, any suggestions :)

I used the scope to spot 223 hits on steel at 565 yds. I could see where the hits were not just that they were hits. I don't think I could see 223 holes in black paper but maybe white under good lighting at that distance. I had good lighting yesterday. I could spot hits on steel at the 1000 yd that had been freshly painted white. Used the 260 at 1000.

Konus 80mm. Spent about an hour at the lathe and made an adapter to mount the Konus on my old scope stand. Much better. Today I need to make a bench adapter too.

If You Are--

Going to use a camera tri-pod, the hot set up is to get some tent stakes or similar to secure the legs to the ground. Use short bungee cords to connect. Also get a bungee cord long enough to reach from the top of the tri-pod to a heavy weight at ground level. The wind can blow one over! That will give you a sick feeling in your gut even if it's not your scope! This should take some of the shakes out of the scope when adjusting or when at a match where the wind will blow if I'm there. Get a tri-pod that is easily adjustable, as others will change your setting to see other targets, especially if you have a good set up.

Hope next year is a "Good Un' For Y'all"

Steve Moore

Back