Speedy stocks

Jay Cutright

Anyone know how much weight will fit in the but of a Speedy stock.
I need 1.5 to 2# to make most BR rifles balance out with a long barrel & a big N/F scope.
I dont have one here to look at so I dont have a way of knowing how the weight system is set up or what diameter of lead stock will fit in or how deep the hole is.

There is plenty of space within the butt area for weight, but there is no "hole" as they come, from what I've seen. You can drill out the foam filler and epoxy in what you want. I ordered a HV stock when Speedy was selling them, and it was fine weight wise.

I client tried to order a HV stock from Stiller, who now sells them, and he refused.

Jay

I have a BRX that is a true HV, (it weighs 34 ounces). I built my 30 BR on it.

But to get to full 13.5 pounds, I still added some weight. What I did was pour Devcon Flexane into the rear butt stock. That is a pourable 2-part product that cures into a hard rubber compound. Perfect for a stock.

I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom of the pistol grip horn, and poured the Flexane, letting it settle at the rear of the stock by standing it up on the butt...........jackie

I guess I should have mentioned that Im thinking of using one of them for 600yd. & will try to make it weigh 17# with out getting to muzzle heavy.
I found a good buy on a used one & wanted to do some research before I buy it to make sure its possible.Its got a panda on it.

Different stock, but I had to use Tungsten to get mine up to HV weight. I got waste stuff from a company in Indianapolis.

What would a .750"x4" piece of that tungsten weigh ?
Can it be drilled and tapped ?
I have a rifle with a weight system that will only accept that size.

Last edited:
Jay

I use tungsten for added weight on other parts of the Rifle, and it machines great. Sort of like high nickle cast iron.

I am not real sure how much more it weighs than steel or lead, but I have a 1/2 x 1 inch long slug that I can weigh and compare it to a piece of steel the same size. Get back with you..........jackie

Just did it. ......steel..........393 grns
Lead...........540 grns
Tungsten....858 grns

Tungsten is pretty heavy stuff.........jackie

Last edited:
Thanks, Jackie
If you or SGJennings knows where I can get a piece .750x4" I would like to have some.
I will be in Indy later this week.

Mi tech metals

I have used them for tungsten weights in the past, adding to Greg's message Mitech has a web site which you can calculate the tungsten weight . They make crankshaft counterbalance weights which can be used. their sales staff will call you and they delive very quickly.

Ask about their left over stuff. Tell them that you're looking for something economical. I got mine for relatively, for unobtainium, cheap.

Greg J.

powdered tungsten

golfsmith once had powdered lead and powdered tungsten for weighting club heads.very easy to measure exactly what you want. Don't know if golfsmith even exists now.Lynn

I used tungsten chips and tungsten-powder-impregnated putty back when I was building pinewood derby cars. It an option, but it not nearly as dense as tungsten rod.

Lynn ...

golfsmith once had powdered lead and powdered tungsten for weighting club heads.very easy to measure exactly what you want. Don't know if golfsmith even exists now.Lynn

Golfsmith headquarters is here in Austin. Go here to find what you're looking for and also put your Zip Code in the upper right hand block for a store near you: http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/. What you're looking for will be found under Tools and Supplies and then under Weighting Supplies. I've used them as a source for my components for years. If Golfsmith no longer carries what you're looking for go here: http://www.golfworks.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1263395019 and here: http://www.hirekogolf.com/ and here: http://www.wishongolf.com/. All four are excellent sources for supplies. Hopes this helps. Art :)

Thanks for all the information.
I missed out on the speedy stocked rifle but Im sure glad I posted this thread about the extra weight.
I have been lookin for extra weight in my scoville rifle ever since I bought it.

Back