Spec Out a Barrel For Me

Hi Jim - wishing you a Merry Christmas (in case I forget to do so!)

I don't like posting on a BR forum about this subject - there is always a lot of divisiveness regarding barrels. This is only my (very humble) opinion, please take it for what it's worth.

Early in my career I used nothing but Hart barrels - they were exceptional and consistently so. I used all 17 twist 6 groove (standard) barrels, with 2 degree leade chambers in them. They digested everything well, and were exceptional especially at 100 yards (generally, after lot testing). They all consistently ran large internally - about .2170 x .2220 (which I personally prefer and specify if I can). I used them to win two National Championships.

In every discipline (at the upper levels), all search for something exceptional, and its unrealistic to think every blank will give you what you need to win. It is true that some manufacturers are more consistent that others (seem to produce a higher number of "workable" barrels within a given sample), but all seem to cycle. News travels fast - I think when someone makes a good product, they find themselves swamped - quality inevitably suffers, and someone else cycles to the top.

In 2014, I ordered six blanks, and couldn't get them to perform. It was probably something I did (or didn't do), or one of a million variables that come into play when trying to evaluate barrel performance. They were good, but the margins are so small. Please don't take this as negative commentary about Hart barrels - I love them, and still use them, but I am on a fixed budget each season and that year forced me to look other places.

I ordered a few blanks this summer, and just finished evaluating them a few months ago. They (once again) are exceptional - I fitted two for evaluation, and both are capable of winning.

It seems to me, especially in the BR rimfire sports, that there is a tremendous amount of following the leader going on. There is nothing wrong with that, its foolish not to pay attention to the winning equipment list, but it does tend to skew perception (in most cases without a lot of proof or experience to back it up).

In short, Harts are great barrels. They are as competitive as any other manufacturer, and getting a great one is no more statistically challenging than getting a great Shilen, Lilja or anything else. They have to be meticulously fit, tested and tuned....and then matched to that perfect lot.

It's a wonder any of us get ANY barrel to shoot well!

All the very best,

kev

Jim:

Almost forgot to mention..........

In case you were interested, I set my chambers up (in Hart Barrels) to engrave Lapua ammunition (Midas+, XACT) approx. .070", or if you are using Eley (and the EPS current projectile) approx. .090"

Again, with a 2 degree leade chamber, and .0430" headspace.

Merry Christmas!

kev

Not to be a shrinking violet here

Late in the summer, I ordered and chambered up a Hart 17 Twist barrel. I like it! To that end, I ordered a 3 groove 16 and it awaits my return to my lathe. I, of course, will put one of them "Funny" chambers in it as I did in the 17, which, by the way , was exceptionally smooth feeling and very straight.

And Bill, you are welcome back if you have learned to be a Sportsman, the true test of a gentleman by British standards.

Pete

Kevin

Many thanks for the info.

Been asking this question for quite a while now. The closest thing to a consensus I've come up with is that: (a) all groove configurations can shoot well, and (b) all manufacturers make a bad one occasionally.

Jim

Late in the summer, I ordered and chambered up a Hart 17 Twist barrel. I like it! To that end, I ordered a 3 groove 16 and it awaits my return to my lathe. I, of course, will put one of them "Funny" chambers in it as I did in the 17, which, by the way , was exceptionally smooth feeling and very straight.

Pete

Pete

Thanks.

Your reply gives me the excuse to open another Pandora's Box......that being twist rate.

Maybe that ought to be a new thread.

Jim

You should be just fine with either a 16" or 17". Most are probably 16".

Last edited:
just .01 cents worth 17 twist on my 40x , gets real sporadic under 60 degs out, ammo not withstanding . There have been notes of others experiencing the same in low temps, brand of barrel not withstanding either. Of course any combination of factors could be producing this. So Voo Doo? well that or any other magical mystical inference. By all rights that lowly projectile with a rebated tail and crimped in place should not do what we get them to do any way. Anz 50 year old rifle - stocks were not sealed internally, nor are the actions bedded as manf. Additionally the bolts are a bit soft internally and subject to wear from the firing pin spring - in a worst case situation, cause soft pin hits, or intermittent fail to fire as the spring is hanging up on groves cut by itself-( new spring will not correct) simply polishing out the ridges can resolve this satisfactorily. I mention this as it is often over looked. Another thing is carbon/lead/primer ring deposit- alluded too in earlier comments but not specifically mentioned. One other point of note is that anz barrels are choked enough so that one slugging the barrel should feel a bit of more resistance at or close to the muzzle. Happy holidays to all.

Back