Southbend Lathe

I found it interesting, during a tour of a GE steam turbine shop, they were using manual lathes to perform certain cuts on the shaft. The blades, etc were cut CNC, and the explanation given to me was that the machinist was more trustworthy than the CNC for certain critical steps on the rotor.

It used to be that most of the old deepwater rig mechanics were good machinists, and could pull the rabbit out of the hat. They are all retired, or retiring these days.

Ben

Ben, one-offs (single operation or single quantity) is not practical for CNC. CNC comes into its own where quantities are generally 10 each or greater or have complex surfaces to be machined.

Your second comment, the lack of skilled workers, is intended. It is called "the dumbing down of America". The current "No Child Left Behind" is a big key. No Child Left Behind can and does control what is taught since the goal of that devious program is to require students to pass the No Child test. Once you control the questions, you then control what is being taught!!!

This thread has suffered a major hijacking by now. I hope the thread originator got his question answered earlier.

Apologies..Oneeyemac

These are excellent points...

I worked in Information Technology for Tweny years. Garbage-In=Garbage-out is very correct.

The more I learn about machining the more I like it.
When you know what you are doing it is obvious.

I have 3 Suothbends,two 9 inchers that hold within .0005 and a heavy 10 that will hold 0001. they all work great and they still make parts for all 3

dumbing down

I recently worked in a couple of production shops after completing a CNC course at the community college. After 23yrs. machining on manual WWII surplus equipt., I was proud to be among master machinist ,though I am only a CNC op/prog., I know the title of "machinist" or better yet "master machinist" takes an entire lifetime in the trade to achive such promonite status.
I regret to say the operators I worked with and even some "supervisors" were not interested in improving their skills. Management did'nt demand the best from certain operators and they were seemingly guaranteed employment :eek:despite the fact that their skills we're substandard :confused: :( along with unacceptable work ethics and no pride in their finished product, really not tool/machine people anyway, :confused: oh well, "God Bless America and our real machinist ":cool:, BTW I have a 1933 mfg So. Bend 9" wide bed, beat to hell but I stroked her and cleaned er up and she does just fine for me ! :) ;)

I don't know where that new southbend is being made, but they had an auction at the plant a few years ago and it was hauled off in pieces. Break. Grizzley has excellent setup men who put up their display machines. They are clean, complete, and dialed-in. Half the complaints about new machines, among hobbyists, is probably caused by trying to use them out of the crate without proper setup. The best home lathe I ever had was a 10" clausing which came out of the Hasbro model/mold shop. It was broken-in and adjusted by some of the best machinists in the business. It was better than new. Of course, somebody offered me 3 time what I paid for it and it went the way off all things.

Back