South Bend Heavy 10 at work!

Jerry what did you post? If want open for me

My Super Heavy 10.

xnhs2g.jpg

My Super Heavy 10.

xnhs2g.jpg

Had 2 or 3 of those in the machine shop where I worked. The tables were a little bigger and closer to the floor. They were made by the Bullard Machine Tool Company.

We used them for machining large cast valve bodies.

Last edited:
Had 2 or 3 of those in the machine shop were I worked. The tables were a little bigger and closer to the floor. They were made by the Bullard Machine Tool Company.

We used them for machining large cast valve bodies.

This guy is CNC. We have a couple of Bullards, one has a 12' chuck. Have a pair of Mazak CNC verticals and a Mazak Integrex with a 12' table and 2 live spindles. Since this is a chemical plant most of the material being machined is 304, 316 and 319L stainless. And a bit of Hastaloy and Inconel.

Also, a King 10' VBM where the table is just above the floor. The table bearings and gearing is in the floor.

12552.jpeg. Years ago I spent alot of time using this machine. Use to make bearing retainers for coal mine equipment. I also used a bettis that was twice the size of this little Niles.

Last edited:
Slick looking lathe. Sure easy to see why they are so popular as they are very short in the headstock letting you dial in a barrel any which way your heart is content.

Thanks Mike. It works well for me threading and chambering my barrels. I still have my Enco 12x36 belt driven lathe in my shop I use from time to time, but the South Bend is the Prize machine!

Thanks Mike Bryant and Rubicon Precision. I really enjoy this little lathe more than any I have ever used to fit barrels.

Back