South Bend Heavy 10 at work!

Hillbilly

Chance Doane
IMG_1473.JPG
I have been enjoying my 1963 South Bend Heavy 10 since May to thread and chamber my barrels.

Last edited:
nice little machines

While I was in gunsmith school, 25+ yrs ago, I chambered 4 of my 5 required barrels on a SB H10. Easy little lathes to operate. I already had 17 yrs of machining experience before that, so it came quit easily to me.

Thanks I have used several lathes to do barrel fitting on and this has become my favorite machine. I'm glad I found this Heavy 10.

I'm not a big fan of those little lathes, but that is a nice little machine.

Hmm, there are without a doubt more South Bend Heavy 10's in use by professional gunsmiths than any other lathe whose use is barrel fitting. I can think of about 30 in use by people I know.

As example, "the great gunsmith", the late Sealey Masker owned 3 Heavy 10's himself. His son and HOF benchrest shooter Jerry still owns and uses then.

I'll put my 1944, ex US Navy, Heavy 10 up against anything out there in being precision, smooth and fun to operate. And, I think I kind-of know machine tools. I have been a Registered Senior Manufacturing Engineer since 1969 and have been at the dinner tables in the homes of several major machine tool manufacturing CEO's over the years.

Hmm, there are without a doubt more South Bend Heavy 10's in use by professional gunsmiths than any other lathe whose use is barrel fitting. I can think of about 30 in use by people I know.

As example, "the great gunsmith", the late Sealey Masker owned 3 Heavy 10's himself. His son and HOF benchrest shooter Jerry still owns and uses then.

I'll put my 1944, ex US Navy, Heavy 10 up against anything out there in being precision, smooth and fun to operate. And, I think I kind-of know machine tools. I have been a Registered Senior Manufacturing Engineer since 1969 and have been at the dinner tables in the homes of several major machine tool manufacturing CEO's over the years.

Jerry,

I think Jackie's talking about little lathes in general. When you make your living working on Bismarck class propeller shafts and such, you probably don't have a lot of use for a Heavy 10 around the shop. His idea of a small lathe is his 10EE.

Some of the lathes in Jackie's shop could probably chuck-up on and swing a Heavy 10!

No knock on Heavy 10's...I own one.

Justin

Jerry,

I think Jackie's talking about little lathes in general. When you make your living working on Bismarck class propeller shafts and such, you probably don't have a lot of use for a Heavy 10 around the shop. His idea of a small lathe is his 10EE.

Some of the lathes in Jackie's shop could probably chuck-up on and swing a Heavy 10!

Justin

When I said I was not a fan, you must remember, I am in the Machine Shop Business. In a bygone era, Jobshops made good use of belt driven machines with limited cut and feed rate potential. In today's world, you have to have machines that take advantage of the latest in tooling capability.

But for the Hobbyist, the little South Bends and similiar machines fill a nich quite well if the head bearings are tight and the ways and lead screw are in good shape.

Big lathes...

Jerry,

Justin

Big lathes I know about too. The last lathe I bought and engineered the setup for before I retired was an 85hp, 60" swing, 228" between centers. Though not a 10EE, it was a Monarch from Sidney. In much earlier years I ran one about that size, an American from Eggleston Ave.

It would have chambered a Benchrest barrel on either one, but a bit overkill.

Old machine shop saying "you can do asmall job on a big lathe but you can't do a big job on a small lathe BUT you can do a small job better and faster on a small lathe"!!

"Small South Bend Lathe"

Myself I would love to have a "small" lathe like the one pictured. As would a lot of people that follow this forum. Just my humble opinion.
Happy Friday from America
Kelly Ellis

...........Some of the lathes in Jackie's shop could probably chuck-up on and swing a Heavy 10!

I just can't get this picture out of my mind :) keep thinking "wonder if you could sweep the ways? maybe be handy for drilling/tapping some new oiling holes into the headstock.....hmmmm"

Great description

Cold in SW Colordao

Kelly, is it cold there yet?

Butch
Yes it has turned winter in this part of the country , it was a few weeks late though. Last few weeks mornings have been in the teens and lower depending on where your at. The Mule deer rut is in full swing , probably seen 40 or so bucks today from the pavement, several standing on the pavement on my 300 mile circle.
Kelly

Back