So many Niteforce Competition Scopes for Resale!

Help me understand?

Al,

You said: There useta' be a story on the old F-Class forum about a 100/200 BR Gunsmith/Shooter who delivered a gun to an F-Class match. True story.... And the guys at the match heckled him until he shot with them. I mean HECKLED, like "come shoot with the REAL men" heckled.

So he went to the car and scabbed together a rifle........

And it wasn't pretty........

You remember the story about Timothy Treadwell??? The dude who went to live with the grizzlies in AK??

And they ATE him???

like that

LOL

I've never heard this story. I may be missing something with your story but I took it as a short range shooter would be eaten by the long range shooters?

If this is correct you might have missed the fact that Don Nielson has done quite well with short range shooting and long range shooting.

If I miss took your meaning then you can disregard this.

Larry

Come on Roland & Al, it is not that hard.

I've got these patches that read

WINNER
Rifleman
NBRSA
SOUTHEASTERN

and

IBS
1000 YD.
WINNER

and there is nothing special about me, except maybe I'm fool enough to try to shoot both...

For a long-range shooter, the thing to get use to is (1) you don't have to take *that* many pains in loading your ammunition, and (2) you really do have to take pains reading the wind.

So go practice. Pick rotten days, can't learn anything when it's nice. Step 1: Look at the wind flags, hold in the center, see where the bullet goes. Do that a bunch. Step 2: Now, when you look at the wind flags, hold off so the bullet goes in the center.

That's lesson number 1. (Corollary: for group shooting, don't have the any bullet hitting the center -- or at least, don't have it hitting your aiming point.)

Pretty soon those ol' point-blank guys will regard you with awe, 'cause they can't make ammunition good enough to win at 1K!

Al,

You said: There useta' be a story on the old F-Class forum about a 100/200 BR Gunsmith/Shooter who delivered a gun to an F-Class match. True story.... And the guys at the match heckled him until he shot with them. I mean HECKLED, like "come shoot with the REAL men" heckled.

So he went to the car and scabbed together a rifle........

And it wasn't pretty........

You remember the story about Timothy Treadwell??? The dude who went to live with the grizzlies in AK??

And they ATE him???

like that

LOL

I've never heard this story. I may be missing something with your story but I took it as a short range shooter would be eaten by the long range shooters?

If this is correct you might have missed the fact that Don Nielson has done quite well with short range shooting and long range shooting.

If I miss took your meaning then you can disregard this.

Larry

The short range guy was the bear :) They shoulda' backed down and let him go to his next stop! He set a new range record in a discipline he'd never shot, didn't know the rules going in and did it with a hunting rifle.....

No, short range BR is the top of the pile IMO, the ONLY discipline where the wind is actually "read" from muzzle to target. Ain't much luck in short-range BR. A good shooter will beat you EVERY time if he's not having gun trouble. Simple fact of long range BR is right up front the guys who draw the good relay win 99.9% of the time. You can't really read the wind over 600-1000yds. Races are generally won by the guy who gets the best condition to run and runs it most cleanly. I love it, I will shoot (have shot) every sanctioned 600-1000yd match in this area because I can do it and be competitive without excessive practice. In long range we have guys who "do their practicing at the matches." It is a bummer though to draw the afternoon relay and watch all the wood go to the morning guys :)

Not so short range BR, most of the time anyone CAN win, CAN overcome the differences......I don't feel at all competitive at 100/200.

This is all purely my opinion.

al

I think the only one that is fair is 1000 yds. You only shoot against the people on that relay, and the shoot off is the same. Anybody you compete against is under the same condition. Short range and 600 is the luck of the draw,if you have 6 relays you have six different conditions. If you are lucky you may get a relay with good conditions and the other five relays don't. Any time you have an agg. involved you are subject to the relay and bench draw. The 1000 yd national will fall into that category also..... jim

Man "O" Man was that a humbling experience.

You want humbling. :)

- 100 yd. VFS two benches down match two, competitor “X” has a misfire and the shooter next to him lends him his rifle to finish the match. Competitor “X” ‘s rifle is out of commission because of powder in the trigger but no problem he is shooting two gun and his 6 power is shooting good, Well to make a long story short at the end of the day Competitor “X” came in first place! Now I know I was shooting the best equipment I have and I believe all the other shooters were as well.

It all comes down to - This guy knows how to shoot!!!!! 6 power ? :confused:

Ken

and tough to make 13.5 HV weight. I tried it.

Greg
It is not at all hard to make a 13.5 HV rifle with a Niteforce, it is easily one of the most popular combinations in Score Shooting. What is tough is trying to make weight with it on a rifle designed for a Weaver or LCS scope.
Dick

Niteforce scopes

I really appreciate all the responses to y post it's giving me some much needed feedback! What I take is that Nightforce didn't do the best job on reticle selection and the eye relief is short!
Thanks Guys!

I shoot LR..... NXS 12x42..have owned Br models...with the NPR2 reticle ( no dot )...the "X" at 1K is 5".
no problems with eye relief......have sent back 2 for work..... as with Leupolds and Burriss`

I don't know what 1000 yd target you are using but a IBS target the X ring is under 3" and the 10 ring is 7"......... jim

Had the opportunity to play with the new Nightforce 15x55 was not impressed at all with the glass it was hazy compared to my Benchrest 12x42! you would think these guy could come up with something like they us on the DRONES, what our government putting a stop to that also. https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/AHrZgS-Gvi4 watch this and tell me what else is out there.

Joe Salt

Last edited:
1/8 th dot

OK, I have never looked through a 15-55. But I hear some of you complain about the dot size So the dot is 1/8th inch at 100yds...correct...or 1.25 inches at 1000. The center x ring on an IBS 1000 yard target, measured outside the circle is right around 3".

How can you call that TO BIG???

Just askin,
Tod

Last edited:
Tod, the 15X-55X is supposed to have a 1/8th MOA dot, but I can assure you that it is much larger than that. Unlike some others, I found the optics to be superb but the dot is simply too big. James Mock PS- I tried to take this picture at 600 yds. to show size of dot.
20iju5d.jpg

Last edited:
Tod, I used one for one match and sold it. The dot is not an issue but the short eye relief is, what sent it down the road is the eye relief is very critical. You can't see the hits on the clay birds if you use free recoil. When you run the record rounds,it's too slow to find the sight picture,it's a full scope or black. The NXS i can see the hit a lot easier. The power they state is over rated siting side by side with the NXS on 42 power and the 15-55 on 45 power the image on 15-55 is way smaller,i had to take it up to almost 50 power to equal the NXS at 42. I think they will get their act together but till then i will use something that works...jim

Some of the folks that don't like the reticle are short-range shooters. I'm in that group.

Give me a fine cross hair, with or without a tiny dot, or a CH-3 kind of reticle. The X on the target that I shoot most frequently at 100 is 30 thou.

At 1000 yds. you don't worry about the X cause you can't see it most of the time and you center up in the box...... jim

Give me a fine cross hair, with or without a tiny dot, or a CH-3 kind of reticle.

Just looked at the Nightforce website, and the only CH reticles that are available are the CH-2 and CTR-1, both with big dots. CH and CH-3 are no longer listed. What are they thinking? Apparently they are not talking to short-range BR shooters.

The eye relief issue is confusing, because the eye relief is listed as 3.15", which is larger than the BR model at 2.9". Is the consensus that this value, like the dot size, isn't true?

I'm in the same boat as many, excited about the new scope, but now disappointed about how it turned out.

Although I have stated a preference for a smaller dot, I still love this new scope. I have owned a 12x-42x BR model , but I prefer this new scope over the older BR model. Not only is it lighter, but it has better optics. Good shooting....James
24wu4pz.jpg

The eye relief issue is short isn't bad if it was forgiving, but the 15-55 isn't the area you you have to see a full scope is very short and doesn't get smaller as you move your head away. It just goes black, and you are constantly trying to see out of it....jim

Back