short light bullets for the PPC

short light bullets for the ppc

I tried bringing it up Nothing""
It was posted the other nite It was either here or 6mm br.com'
i checked both sites and no luck

Here's the reason. I made an experimental short batch,
I need some J4 .750 jackets to do more testing.
Gerry

I shot 62 grainers, short jackets, in my first railgun barrel...and they shot pretty good. I'd shoot 10 record bullets per target and go get my trophy. Was really sorry to see that barrel go but it did...at the nationals in Fairchance. Before he quit speaking, JD Denoff referred to it as "legendary". That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with 62 grain bullets if you have a rifle that shoots them well. If your rifle shoots them any better than the standard 68 grain bullets then just shoot them.

Last edited:
Jef Fowler's 66 gr. bullets were rightfully famous, but he used the 63 grain bullets built on a .750 jacket. Good shooting...James

Could be, but it could also be most anything from the load to the actual diameter of the bullet. I don't know and I don't think anybody knows....could be wrong there. :confused:

BTW - folks should try a different diameter bullet before giving up on a lousy barrel...it may not be lousy.

Last edited:
A number of years ago, when I was getting started with my PPC, I was having trouble working up a load using bullets made by a well known maker. I think that they were 68 gr. It has been a while. The barrel was a NOS 13 twist Hart, that tight patched at 12 3/4 (twice). I mentioned my problem to Walt Berger at a match in Visalia and he told me that some years before, when those barrels were seeing more use in competition, that he and Dennis Thornbury had done some testing and found that unlike what would be expected that they seemed to like short light bullets, like the Burger 60s, (which were made on .750 jackets). I knew that a friend had some 62 grain Watsons (also made on .750 jackets) so I borrowed a few and tried them. That barrel really liked them, solving my problem. I ordered some from Ed and that was that. Some years later I was shooting that barrel and along with the Watsons I had some heavier bullets that were made on .825 jackets, 67 gr. Tuckers if I remember correctly, so, just for the heck of it I decided to try them. They shot really well, better than the Watsons. Point of story: We may think that a bullet shoots better because of some factor like weight or jacket length, when it really is something else. Keep a lot of different bullets on hand. When you get a new barrel, try a variety. Don't assume. Believe your targets.

I've had this conversation more than once about short vs long jackets. We used to shoot more zeros with short jacket bullets. When the trend went to longer jackets in the late 80's the zeros seemed to go away but aggs kept coming down as people worked harder with more barrels looking to be competitive. I think short jacketed bullets can shoot smaller groups but as Boyd said there is no single over riding factor when it comes to pure accuracy.

I contacted Berger today about buying a small quantity of .750 jacket,s about 8,000 for starters.

The reply was they no longer make that jacket. I think it's more like that don't sell that jacket.

I replied that I doubt that it would take much to trim that .790 to .750.

I'm hoping Berger will listen and make the jacket available again

A few years back Jim Borden and I were trying to get a 3-groove 15.5:1 twist to shoot. We were on a bench just in front of Ed Watsons tent. We got a 200 box of Ed's 65/.750's. They shot great at 100 but shot ratty at 200.

15.5 twist 6mm? Wow "
I have a lilja 15 twist that Jim installed on a rifle for me. It never did shoot small. The lightest pill I used was a 65 gr on a .790
Maybe I just needed to go lighter in weight.

15.5 twist 6mm? Wow "
I have a lilja 15 twist that Jim installed on a rifle for me. It never did shoot small. The lightest pill I used was a 65 gr on a .790
Maybe I just needed to go lighter in weight.

You need to go shorter OAL. The longer the bullet the faster twist it takes to stabilize (7-8, etc), the slower the twist (15.5, etc) the shorter the OAL it will stabilize.

Bullet weight doesn't really matter. Jef Fowler told me one time the most wood he won while living in Midland was a 0.720 with a 6 ogive nose. The blunter the nose, the easier a bullet is to tune, the steeper the nose the more aerodynamic it is.

thanks for that info jerry
a 6 would be no problem I have one of those die sets I think the short jacket is the key here also.

Does anyone have any .750 berger J4 jackets they want to part with?
Gerry

Last edited:
Back in the day Del Bishop told me of an adjustable die that is designed to cut off jackets. He had ordered one to cut down .825 jackets to .790. Before he had a chance to use it, Berger started offering .790 jackets. I can't remember what the die is called, but I understand that it is a standard item.

Last edited:

I bet it's called a pinch off die used to trim jackets ,leaves a slight champher on the edge

Back