Shooting Situations

At the time I did not think it was funny! Borescope showed lead, but I don't know how the sighters vs records turned out like they did.

This game is brutal at times.

Thanks to all who have read and/or responded to this thread! It has been rewarding to see how many have accepted responsibility for an errant round. This is how it should be IMHO,first asking the question "what did I do wrong?" Then, did I miss something in the conditions? Did I not return the rifle to battery? etc. While some thing out of your control COULD have happened, the more likely culprit 95% of the time is the shooter. Don Matzeder answered the question directly, and quite well - others also provided some thoughtful responses so it does appear that there is some interest in the non-hardware aspects of our game. So,in the near future, I will throw out another situation to ponder and , hopefully, get some more thoughful responses. Keep 'em in the center! Bob

Damn, hope we don't have to wait too long........

Thanks Mr. Smoke. GG

I solved the problem of lying wind flags--I just leave them at the house! I know, I know, need to use them and learn to read them, but not sure I've got enough days left to do that and endure the frustration I catch.

We shoot ARA. Our range has burms on three sides and a back to the covered benches. I describe it as a mini coliseum. Wind seems to constantly swirl inside this range so that the flags rarely have a constant direction but are constantly changing direction. I use three or four flags. I find it hard to get the shot off at the right time. If you shoot to soon when the flags get in the right direction (and they never all point the same direction at the same time) the wind has not stabilized. If you wait to long you risk the wind changing as you get off the shot.

My personal pet peeves are two (there really are many). First. I shoot my fouling shots, sighters, all looks good and go for record and conditions change altogether. I wait for the condition to come back and it never does so I have to sight in again and start over. Meanwhile the clock is ticking and I start to rush. Need I say more.
Two. I shoot my foulers, sight-in , all looks great and I go for record. Get 3 or 4 100's and start to feel really up for the target when the wind changes again. But maybe only subtlety. The condition I sighted in for never returns. Another mediocre target.

I don't think I spend as much time studying the wind prior to the first match as I should. Being match director keeps me distracted from this most important task.

Rich

Our range is much the same with the ever present change of conditions.

If you shoot too soon, it will get you. If you shoot too late hoping the condition is stable, it will get you with a fast switch. Shoot the pushes, not the let ups.

If I can only remember that, shoot the pushes not the let ups.

Find which condition/s the rifle wants to shoot and wait for it.

Now all I need is to learn exactly WHEN the condition is stable.

Out of Tune

Something that hasn't been addressed, it the tune of your equipment. Ammo/Barrel combination might be off a bit as well. Of all the choices given at this point, I like the one that refers to shooter's error. That would encompass numerous options to choose from. I've often been accused of using this term too much, but Practice, Practice, Practice will solve several of the problems you have mentioned. I try to practice and tune in the same type conditions I'm most often likely to encounter during an event. I might also add, that you might not bee in tune with your equipment comination. You learn an awful lot about you equipment, during the practice sessions.

No one thing

Ben: I'm afraid that no one thing will fix all problems. I do know, that is you change anything, only make one change at a time.

Years ago I used to travel to many ranges in the mid west .I would keep a log book with me and list all the conditions that took place at that range,also I took note if the range shot to the east at the targets or west,or what ever,I would take down temp the day of the match the rifle I shot and how many rounds were used collect as much imformation as I could.Wrote on the targets where when and why later to reveiw.Time of day is the sun on the targets are the targets bright and clear,or are the target dark and draby,The wind is your friend, Watch the mirage good luck

Back