shooting 10x

chaymbrd

Hello All, I have been shooting R-10x this winter. It shoots good in the 40 to 50 degree range. SO far groups are small low 2s a few 1s. I have used primarily 27.5,6,7. My question is has anybody been shooting hot. Like 28.5 plus? What are the results of your practice. Thank You Michael

These remarks are about the 6ppc with bullets in the 0.790-0.825 jacket range.

Rl10x came out about -20 years ago. We were shooting the IBS nats at Painted Post, NY. I bought 3 cases of 10#. Sold a case to Sam of Lubbock Tx. It, to me, shot much better than V133 or any of the other 6ppc powders. Shot great in the 3250-3375 FPS range. It even shot great a 3525. But, don’t try to shoot a case FULL of it.

Hello All, I have been shooting R-10x this winter. It shoots good in the 40 to 50 degree range. SO far groups are small low 2s a few 1s. I have used primarily 27.5,6,7. My question is has anybody been shooting hot. Like 28.5 plus? What are the results of your practice. Thank You Michael

I'm new to shooting and I've got to say I don't have the slightest idea what this post means. I mean I don't even understand one sentence in this post. :D

I'm new to shooting and I've got to say I don't have the slightest idea what this post means. I mean I don't even understand one sentence in this post. :D

With that attitude you'll do just fine :)

It's a steep learning curve but wondrously rewarding and with enough challenge to last a lifetime.

Think of race-tuning..... but with guns.

Welcome

No attitude here, Harr. What was said is that he has been shooting Reloader 10X powder in his 6PPC and he has had somewhat good results in the temperature he has been shooting in, 40 to 50 degrees. He has groups in the .2xx with a few in the .1xx size range. And he said he has been testing loads of 27.5 to 27.7 grains and wants to know if anyone has tested with as hot as 28.5 plus grains.
That’s not so tough to understand or explain in layman’s terms.

No attitude here, Harr. What was said is that he has been shooting Reloader 10X powder in his 6PPC and he has had somewhat good results in the temperature he has been shooting in, 40 to 50 degrees. He has groups in the .2xx with a few in the .1xx size range. And he said he has been testing loads of 27.5 to 27.7 grains and wants to know if anyone has tested with as hot as 28.5 plus grains.
That’s not so tough to understand or explain in layman’s terms.

Thank you for explaining. What is 6PPC? And what does .2xx mean? Thanks in advance, even though I hate when people say thanks in advance. :D

6PPC is a cartridge common in the field of short range benchrest. It is very capable of shooting groups in the range of 0.250 when measured center to center of extreme holes.

10x

I’ve played with it, 27.8 to 28.2 range seems best, very good ES and SD with it. Seems out West it’s a great powder that stays in tune. I just feel that 133 shoots smaller when you get it working in higher humidity.

I have been told by someone in Phx, that those having success with it are shooting 29.1 and up!

Last edited:
so today I shot a 16 shot ladder with 10x and 65gr bullets at 200 yards.
21.5" gary ocock built rifle, 75* 12% humidity 42x nf
25.6 to 28.6 on .2 steps
velocity ran 3076 to 3457
no sticky bolt
2 flat spots/where holes doubled
26.6/26.8 ran 3213 and 3207
28.0/28.2 did 3408/3412
guess I will go shoot 3's or 5's of those,
then look at seating depth.

Thank you for just being downright honest! Folks like you are seldom found anywhere much less on THIS forum.

10 x -which primer

What is the primer of choice for 10x powder. I have tried fed 205, rem 7 1/2 , br-4 and cci 400. CCI 400 seems to be the most accurate.Was wondering what people who shoot this powder may recommend. Thanks

shot 26.8 very well to day at cactus practice
too much blustery wind for my skills
a lester suggested load for my lot
28.1/.2 did well, but spent most of my time at 26.8.
has not beaten n133 at 28.9 in my gun

28.3 shot a .2 at the lands
26.8 shot a .16 at the lands
nothing better in or out, but the winds hid potential.
then my chargemaster lite DIED.

The cci 400 has a thinner cup from what I read yesterday. I was up to 29.2 grains with a Barts 68 dominator with the cci 400 . at that point the primers were getting ugly, but no bolt lift issues. 53Degrees/30% Hum. I also noticed ( by micrometer readings ) the case head diameter started to increase at 28.8. That being said I still had best accuracy at 27.5 Grains. 4 shots nice little hole with 1 out a little giving me .200 group at 100 yards stolle cub- 18 inch Krieger 13.5 twist. I think the fed. primer is a little hotter than the cci so I am going to try a litter charge than 27.5

Thanks, Bruce

Back