Shilen DGV/DGR and Savage bolt heads?

sgt_jamez

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum to ask this, but I’m very interested in building a multi-caliber rifle based on a Shilen DGV action. Specifically a 6 Dasher, 6PPC, and 20VT. I’m wondering if anyone here has this action and has tried swapping bolt heads? I would probably the the action with the 308 bolt head and buy a PTG 6PPC and 223 bolt head. I just can’t find anywhere that confirms that the Savage//PTG bolt head will fit on the Shilen bolt body.

Any clarification would ease matters for me tremendously!

I read somewhere that a Savage head will not fit a Shilen bolt. Sorry I have no idea where I read it.

RWO

Yes, I wrote them last week and their reply was that they only have 223, 308 and magnum bolt heads. Is that not accurate?

Ha! Yeah I was hoping you knew something I didn’t. I went to the source. They also told me they don’t sell the bolt heads individually.

Could it be because the .473 bf extracts the PPC case well enough that NO NEED for PPC boltface??

FWIW a .473 Savage bolt head will extract a PPC case if a slightly longer extractor is made up. Maybe a Shilen head will work the same way.

RWO

Back