Shilen DGAS firing pin replacement

I have a Shilen DGAS action that needs a new firing pin. Called Shilen and was told they don't have any. Emailed Dave Kiff and he said no.
The firing pin is shorter than a Rem 7 and is threaded ( not pinned ). Looks like it came from a Wichita action.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Al Elliott

Al, just depends upon how close a standard Remington firing pin is to the Shilen, but you might be able to have a Remington pin modified to the same dimensions as the Shilen. A lot of it depends upon how it's made at the front of the firing pin. The Shilen may not be tapered. It's not a big deal to cut it off and thread the end, but the other end may be a different story.

firing pin shape

The nut or stop on the Shilen firing pin is larger than the Remington but the shaft diameter is about the same. Uses the same spring but shorter. It is tapered like the Remington in front of the stop/nut.

Why cant shilen make you a new pin? That just doesnt make any since!! Good luck Al im sure you can come up with something. Sucks that Shilen cant help!! Lee

Skeet,
I don't think they have made those actions in 20 years.
No parts and expertise left at the present day shilen.

Why cant shilen make you a new pin? That just doesnt make any since!! Good luck Al im sure you can come up with something. Sucks that Shilen cant help!! Lee

Lew is right.....

DGAs are great actions, but that's the problem with owning an action that's not in production anymore

and haven't been for 20 plus years....lack of replacement parts.

Could you make or have made a custom bolt shroud that would allow an unmodified Remington FP and cocking piece to work in your bolt ?

firing pin

Gentlemen, thanks for all the replies.

Does the larger diameter nut/stop in the Shilen firing pin ( than the Remington firing pin ) prevent the use of a Remington firing pin that would be shortened and threaded?

Al

I have a Shilen DGAS action that needs a new firing pin. Called Shilen and was told they don't have any. Emailed Dave Kiff and he said no.
The firing pin is shorter than a Rem 7 and is threaded ( not pinned ). Looks like it came from a Wichita action.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Al Elliott

Contact Allan Hall, Hall Manufacturing in Clanton Alabama 205-755-4094. If he is unable to help, contact Greg Tannel 970-353-6176. FAX 970-356-5940.

DGA Firing Pin

Al...Could this be what you're looking for?. If so....Turk Takano has several of these just laying around,serving no purpose. If interested...PM me. Its threaded on the end.

Glenn

A buddy just asked me to repair his firing pin. It is from a Musgrave action [South African] and I believe these pins were made by modifying Mauser 98 pins.
It looks like the pin in Glenn's pic above.

Any chance these are the same?Musgrave pin.jpgScribbled some measurements down during lunch and snapped a pic too quick

Back