Setting shoulder back on virgin brass...problem?

matchman

.220 Russian expanded up to 6mm (not fireformed yet).
Most of the brass is real hard to close the bolt on ????
The "Go" gauge chambers normal.
Setting the shoulder back ever so slightly fixes it.
Should I be concerned ?
Thanks for any replies ..
Adam

Coat each new case with a thin coat of oil (only the first time you fire it)...helps it form to the chamber. You just need a little oil on your fingers and wipe the case. Be sure to dry out your chamber with lighter fluid or something else on a chamber swab afterwards.

The first time you chamber the .220 Russian you will just have to force the bolt closed. Make sure your bolt lugs are lubricated and it's no problem. After you fire form it that first time it will be fine.

Real Common

That's no big deal, I would venture a guess that quite a few shooters have to bump the shoulder just a tad on the 220 Russian in order to get it to chamber without any fear of galling the luggs.

As an add on to what Steave said, I put a very thin film of Emperial Sizing Wax on my cases when fire forming. Keeps the case walls from gripping the chamber walls too aggresivly so as to allow the case to fully form to the chamber and reach the proper length.

One caution if you do use oil. As Steve said, the emphasis is on a very thin coat. Oil is a liguid, and any trapped accumilation would cause a hydraulic bubble in the case when fired..........jackie

I have a similiar problem to matchman. I have been setting headspace by feel by chambering an empty case with the firing pin removed. With my recently prepped cases f/l sized with the die set the same as for fire formed cases, I am unable to close the bolt. To close the bolt smoothly I had to adjust the die and use significantly greater force with the press when bumping the shoulder than I do when bumping a fire formed case. The necks are .0086. Case length is 1.5005 +/- .0005. The length of cut on the neck looks good under a microscope. Should I be concerned?

220 Russian/ 6ppc

Adam: I bump the shoulder back just enought to give me a firm, but not hard bolt closing. After setting it back, the shoulder has almost a rounded look, but fireforms nicely.

Dn't gaul yer lugs!

One of the older Group Shooters who is very high in the stack of Hall of Fame points told me he runs with .003 bump. No need to gaul yer lugs by haveing the caes so figgin long :).

The case issue sounds like a common thing, just not something Ive heard about. Kinda funny. The case lube also sound like a good idea.--THANKS--
Im wondering about galled locking lugs .
What do they look like and what problems do they cause ?
My well used action has circular lines on the lugs just like a old record (for those of use that know what that is) Maby a little deeper. No metal is torn or lumpy. When is this a problem ?

Back