Seperated necks

Dies

I thought more about what you have said about the Reading dies Kent. I have a Reading die for my 30 BR that was made before one could buy them off the shelf. it re-sizes the whole neck and after thinking about it, could be the cause of the problem. I also have had the same problem with my 30-44's using a Jones die. His dies size mst of if not all the neck also. The Redding die combination has been more of a problem though. I recently bought a Harrells full length die in 30 BR. I like it, I must say.

Actually, Pete, it becomes a problem of the combination of die & bushing that can cause the problem. The combination of the die sizing all of the neck and not allowing the bushing to float...in conjunction with bushings that don't have enough radius on their edges...is what causes the problem. I LOVE my Redding Small Base Full-Length Die, and after Joe Krupa helped me to correct this problem out at Chippewa in 2003, I have had no further problems with it...

As I understand it the reason for the busing floating is to help maintain alignment of neck with the case to help with concentricity.
Since the neck only needs to be free to move laterally and not vertically this would not affect the amount of the neck that is sized.
As to the radius that depends on who made the bushing. I have had some that were usable from either end, some that had just less than sharp edges to the one I am currently using which is usable from only one end but has a very very nice radius on it.

As we know "sometimes" not all the time case necks can thicken with repeated firing and if this were the case with such a tight fit and tolerance as Jonathan was/is using that could very well explain the separated necks.

Jonathan you might take one or more of the cases from that blown batch and mic them to see what they are now measuring and try turning one or 2 with your setup and see what comes off and where.
This might give you a better indication if the neck space fit is the issue.
It would tend to seem that if there is not enough room for the neck to expand that some thing is going to have to give at some point.

It would seem that if Kent had the same problem, made a change, and it went away, that making the same change might be a good idea:)

Back