seating how deep ?

anything above the case shoulder/neck junction..and still holds the bullet.
i think my shortest is about .08

I shoot a ton of stuff that has 1/3 or more of the bullet shank hanging down into the powder...... plus the boattail. A 300gr 338 OTM in a mag-length Magnum often will hang down so far it displaces a half inch of powder up around itself when seated.

This is always where some knucklehead leaps in with both feet yelling "DAN'rous!! DAN'rous!!!...Pressure spikes!! Pressure spikes!!"

That knucklehead use'ta be me.

And some knowledgeable folks called me out saying "LISSEN Dumbass.... if'n you're gonna' spout THEORY from some book, or from that dream-filled cesspit you call a brain, go to another forum!!"

And that made me THINK

And it made me LAFF

And it got me off my lazy butt to DO STUFF

So I tested stuff.

And I was wrong

And I now am a licensed reloader and I SELL stuff with half the bullet hanging down into the case.

i mean for 6ppc i got a jgs1045 (no idea on the freebore)
the bullets i got only make contact with the neck for 0.025 " for the BT i got the FB 0.067" (bearly touching the rifling)

gap.jpg
case lengh is 1.481"

1) is there a way to to now the freebore of my reamer ?
2) how mutch freebore do you guys got on your 6ppc reamers ?

asking those Q i need to order a new reamer and i want my bullets a little deeper but how mutch ???

3) .262/.265/.268 ?

Last edited:
What bullets?

Are you using 65 or lighter bullets? I had a set of bullet dies that didn't have a lot of bearing surface and I couldn't shoot bullets made off of .790 jackets or had same issues as you. I got a different couple dies now days that allow me to get more shank into the case for what I feel is adequate neck tension. That and trim your cases to around 1.495" for some help there as well.

without naming names I'll just suggest that the two "biggest name reamers" or the two most often called "best PPC reamer" share .070 freebore

i mean for 6ppc i got a jgs1045 (no idea on the freebore)
the bullets i got only make contact with the neck for 0.025 " for the BT i got the FB 0.067" (bearly touching the rifling)

View attachment 24934
case lengh is 1.481"

1) is there a way to to now the freebore of my reamer ?
2) how mutch freebore do you guys got on your 6ppc reamers ?

asking those Q i need to order a new reamer and i want my bullets a little deeper but how mutch ???

3) .262/.265/.268 ?

I started out with the JGS 1045 reamer over 25 years ago. It has a .060 FB.

This reamer was designed around FB bullets with around a 7 to 71/2 ogive with a relative straight shank. Good examples are the Fowler, Watson, and the Euber.

Your reamer must be a little odd on the freebore, as .060 was standard on a 1045.

Or you are shooting a bullet with a very high Ogive number with a rather short shank.

What bullet are ou shooting.?

May I also note that "freebore" is poorly defined. on a reamer print sometimes the portion marked as freebore is .070 from the casemouth, sometimes it's called out from the gapspace or in other words freebore is sometimes the machined parallel section only and sometimes it's measured to include the gapspace.

The two reamers I mentioned are .070 from the casemouth and .060 of parallel machined "throat" section with the remaining .010 being the 45* ramp from the neck to the freebore.

Jackie's ".060 freebore" may well be the same as those reamers I called out as .070 freebore.

I started out with the JGS 1045 reamer over 25 years ago. It has a .060 FB.

This reamer was designed around FB bullets with around a 7 to 71/2 ogive with a relative straight shank. Good examples are the Fowler, Watson, and the Euber.

Your reamer must be a little odd on the freebore, as .060 was standard on a 1045.

Or you are shooting a bullet with a very high Ogive number with a rather short shank.

What bullet are ou shooting.?
Contacted my bulletmaker and the bullets ar made on .825 jackets and got a 9s ogive

Usually stated as a fraction of the bullet diameter.

You have to play around with distance to leade and start of the rifling.

I generally start around one caliber in the case nack.
That way there is decent resistance to setback when chambering,
and enough case neck tension to make sure the powder gets a
decent start before the bullet moves all that much.

One of the hypothesis about secondary detonation is that the bullet
moves briefly, and then comes to a stop as it is engraving into the rifling.

It has proved to be very difficult to reliably cause secondary detonation effects.

Send the reamer back to JGS with a dummy round loaded with a bullet seated where you would like.. Maybe half way down the neck. They can regrind the ''freebore'' length shorter. Hard to make it longer but they can make it shorter..

Back