Screw removal advice

I might as well add my 2 cents, just like all the other posts you need a screw driver bit that fits the slot tight. I grind a bit out of a chunk of old welding rod or what ever steel that is about the same width as the screw head again so it fits tight. I then heat this home made bit up red hot and hold it in the slot of the stuck screw I might do this 3 or 4 times then while the screw is still hot I use the tight fitting screw driver (not the one you heat up) holding lots of pressure turn the screw out. If I have trouble getting it out I will let it cool and do the process all over again until it will brake loose. For Allen head screws I just use a chunk of round stock that fits the head. I like the idea of using the mill and milling vise never tried that one, thanks.

Bob

To all of you, In my 80 years, I have now seen the best thread ever. This gets printed in large form and up on the wall it goes. My only add, I use Kano "Kroil" on any thing tite. Thanks all.

Cheers, Larry

not for the faint of heart....

ALWAYS KNOW THE FUNCTION OF THE SCREW BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE IT....

Once upon a time, a young lad was born without a bellybutton. In its place was a silver screw.
All the doctors told his mother there was nothing they could do.

Like it or not, he was stuck with it . . . He was screwed.

All the years of growing up were real tough on him,
as all who saw the screw made fun of him.
He avoided leaving his house . . . thus, never made any friends.

One day, a mysterious stranger saw his belly and told him of a monk in Tibet who could get rid of the screw for him.
He was thrilled. The next day, he took all of his life's savings and bought a ticket to Nepal. After several days of climbing up steep cliffs, he came upon a giant monastery.

The monk knew exactly why he had come.

The screwy guy was told to sleep in the highest tower of the monastery and the following day when he awoke, the screw would have been removed.

The man immediately went to the room and fell asleep.

During the night while he slept, a purple fog floated in an open window. In the mist floated a solid silver screwdriver. In just moments, the screwdriver removed the screw and disappeared out the window.

The next morning when the man awoke, he saw the silver screw laying on the pillow next to him.

Reaching down, he felt his navel, and there was no screw there! Jubilant, he leaped out of bed . . . . And his butt fell off.

The moral to this is:
'Don't screw around with things you don't understand -- You could lose your BUTT.'

Back in the 70's, I used an Impact driver to remove stuburn screws and bolts/nuts. Don't know if they still make them any more. I might add, these were small hand units that were mechanical, that you tapped with a hammer.

Last edited:
A well fitting screwdriver, penetrating oil, heat and some downward pressure, have nearly always worked for me.

Fred

The problem with that impact driver is remembering which way to turn the direction control collet. We use to use them on stuck chassis bolts before we got the more compact compressed air guns. Giving it a cloat with a 3lb mallet only to find you just done the thing up tighter was always a cause of a few expletives.

We leave that wrong way crap, to those on the other side of the pond. They don't know any better any way.

I was always told that we taught you Boston tea party types all you know.

no, you taught all you know, and we have progressed from there....

the screw is in tension..a good wack straight down( for the size of screw) often helps break things loose.....

mike in co

no, you taught all you know, and we have progressed from there....

Are you saying that the student has surpassed its master?

I guess theres a first time for everything..................but I have yet to be convinced that it's happened. Especially in regards to the craft of gunmaking.

Some might accuse me of being biased in that regard.:cool:

hambone - did you Brits ever get your SA-80 service rifle to work?? Or is HK in Germany still sorting out the problems of fine British Gunmaking on the 200,000 rifles you sent them to fix for you??

would you like to go look at the world short range br results.........

mike in co

Are you saying that the student has surpassed its master?

I guess theres a first time for everything..................but I have yet to be convinced that it's happened. Especially in regards to the craft of gunmaking.

Some might accuse me of being biased in that regard.:cool:

Like your AR's it had its early teething problems.

The SA80 A2 L85 as its now designated has been sorted for sometime. On its introduction, it proved so accurate that the Army marksmanship tests had to be redesigned. The major update in 2002, resulted in the SA80A2 IW and LSW and has produced the most reliable weapons of their type in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the original OP.
1 month 3 days and 39 posts later and we dont know what if anything you tried and what the results were.
Let us know.

Back