scratch on neck with Redding bushing? why?

S

SanQ

scratch on neck with Redding bushing? why? (solved see#34)

DSC00990.jpg

I started to resize the neck on a brand new box of lapua 6br brass. after about 5 or 6 brass when thru redding competition neck sizing die with .268 bushing. scratches started to show on the neck. what happened? would it affect the accuracy? how to fix it? or do I need to fix it?

the bushing and die are all brand new.

please help:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
btw: I tried cleaning the bushing with paper, made sure there was no dirt.doesnt help

I did have a similar neck pattern on hunting brass years ago when using standard loading dies. In that case it turned out that I had gotten something imbedded in the junction between the neck & the shoulder - presumbaly residue from the powder or primers. I had to polish it out before the die was any use again.

However, in your case, I wonder if it isn't an issue with the brass as well. I've noticed my .308 W brass has striations inside the neck when brand new from their manufacture process. I have to get rid of it by running my K & M .310 expander plug into the neck before it will slide onto the mandrel of my Lee collet die.

If your external scores correspond with the same internal characteristic, maybe it's a combination of bushing friction & neck irregularity.

Do you have your bushing in the die upside down?
The numbers should be "up".
To the best of my knowledge, the bushings are very slightly tapered and have a bit more of a lead radius on the bottom side.

That doesn't look like a brass problem. I would be more inclined to look for a sharp edge on one side of the bushing.
Look at the edges of the hole woth a 10x magnifier and see if there is a slight burr on the edge. I have never seen this with Redding bushings. Try a case with a small amount of Imperial sizing wax on the neck. If the edge is sharp polish the edge slightly with very fine crocus cloth.

Mike Swartz

Carbide bushing?

I see a new carbide bushing in your future.:D

Big Al
Not to go off topic here but I have been wondering about carbide bushings, mostly where would anyone get the carbide bushings? Thanks for your help!
PM me if you want?
Jack
P.S. I have nitriate coated bushings I think?

Mmmm

I don't think it is the bushing. The bushings are rounded on both ends and anyway they do not size that far down the neck usually.

Try taking the bushing out completely and run the brass through - I bet it still does it. Something is wrong with the die - not the bushing.

Scott

I'm with Scott,

If the bushing was doing that you wouldn't need to ask here why the brass had scratches, it would be obvious when looking at the bushing.

I'd guess something is amiss with the die or the diameter of the neck (maybe you expanded them up first or something ??) and the case neck is hitting the edge of the hole at the top of the shoulder section in the die, not enough clearance or some rough burrs.

Bryce

Is the bushing floating?

Is it set-up so the bushing is allowed to float inside the die?

DSC00990.jpg

I started to resize the neck on a brand new box of lapua 6br brass. after about 5 or 6 brass when thru redding competition neck sizing die with .268 bushing. scratches started to show on the neck. what happened? would it affect the accuracy? how to fix it? or do I need to fix it?

the bushing and die are all brand new.

please help:confused:

Take the button out and insert the neck of the case from the top. See if it enters easily into the clearance hole. If it doesn't, the die body itself is doing the sizing and you need to open up the clearance hole.

What!!!!!!!

First off if you take the bushing out the case won't touch anything at all inside of the die.And yes you can size a 6BR neck that much.

The brass you are working on needs to be sized down with a bigger bushing first then use the bushing you are using now.The chamfer on Redding bushings is almost non-existent and your brass is catching.If you do like Mike Swartz said and put some Imperial Wax on the necks it will help alot.Also outside chamfering your cases first will help.

I neck down 375 H-H brass for my 300 Ackley and figured I could just buy a couple bushings evenly spaced to do the job.No way at all can you do it like that.If you go more than 0.004 at a time you'll get those scratches.I've probaly got around 12 sets of Redding bushing dies and a huge stack of various sized bushings and if you exceed 0.005 you'll collapse the case on every one of them.
Lynn

Last edited:
I just can't see any way that a bush that looks normal, tight or otherwise, could do that to a case neck, no matter how far you are trying to size the neck down, even with no lube.

Look at the marks, they are made by a sharp edge, there is just no way a normal bush can do that, even if tight. For the bush to do that it would be obvious looking at the bush, it would be rough.

One possibility is if the bush is used with no lube and has picked up brass and the brass adhering to the inside of the bush is doing the damage.

I think the case is dragging in the die, it shouldn't but it could be. Is it by chance a 22BR die with bigger bushes, they may be the same die anyway but it is a possibility.

Like has been said, run a case into the die with no bush and you will very quickly prove where the problem is.

Bryce

Bjs6

Bryce if you remove the bushing from the die there is nothing inside the die can possibly touch the cases neck.You are left with a huge empty space.

If you don't think the blunt end of a case hitting the blunt end of a bushing will cause scratches try this experiment.Take a brand new case neck it down and seat a bullet without doing any chamfering at all.You'll probaly end up with a bullet jacket full of scratches.

It works the same way with bushings.If you don't chamfer them or use a big enough size.The carbide bushings work better because they are much slicker for lack of a better word.
Lynn

I'm with Scott,

If the bushing was doing that you wouldn't need to ask here why the brass had scratches, it would be obvious when looking at the bushing.

I'd guess something is amiss with the die or the diameter of the neck (maybe you expanded them up first or something ??) and the case neck is hitting the edge of the hole at the top of the shoulder section in the die, not enough clearance or some rough burrs.

Bryce

This sounds like the problem. The hole at the top of the shoulder is smaller than the neck diameter of the new brass. Run a case into the die and back out WITHOUT a bushing in place. I'll bet the marks will be on the case.
I have opened up Redding Bushing dies in this area for special purposes. A friend built a .338 WSM using a neck/throater reamer and a 300 WSM reamer to do the chamber. I opened up a 300 WSM die in the area in question and the die is now a .338 WSM FL bushing die.

Lynn

Go to here and look at the cut-away of the die.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/compbushneckdie.html

See this area of the die just above the shoulder, but below the bushing. The neck has to go through this hole to reach the bushing. (clearance hole)

So if you take the bushing out and size a case you can see if the neck clearance hole is too small.

I am not saying it is definitely not the bushing - it could be a bad bushing....i am just guessing it is the other.

Scott

Jay Idaho

Jay I just looked at two 6BR neck dies and a 22BR neck die made by Redding.I even put the bushing from the 6BR die into the 22BR die.There isn't anything in there to hit at all without the bushing in place.The sliding sleeve has a very small restriction in it to catch the bushing and the rest of the sleeve is huge.It catches the outer most part of the bushing or less than half of it's diameter.
On my 3 dies I just pushed a 30 caliber brush through the hole with minimal resistance.I then pushed it through the bushing and it was quite tight.
If any of the neck is hitting the sleeve or even coming close there is a huge problem here.
Lynn

Scott

The shoulder you are referring to just let a 7mm bullet fall straight through.It stops a 30 caliber bullet dead in its tracks.I don't have a way of reaching in the sleeve to get a measurement because its too deep.
I have seen those same scratches many times but I wish you all well in figuring it out.
Lynn

Sliding sleeve "Competition" bush neck die or "Type S" bush neck or full length die.

Lynn, we know that in principle the case should not touch, but maybe in this die there is a fault or whatever, who knows.

I know what you mean about bullet shaving etc but I still struggle to see a normal bush doing this to a case even with no lube and no chamfer. Based just on my experience, I certainly have been wrong before today, just ask my wife !!! :D

A quick in and out with no bush in the die will very quickly give a huge clue to the poroblem, why a guy wouldn't do that before posting here is beyond me !

Bryce

Back