Score Shooters Showdown

jcline

I'm working on putting together a score shooting match where the IBS and NBRSA will select members from each organization to represent them at this shoot. The organization will determine who gets selected from their own members to compete on the teams , but I'm thinking it would be best to allow anyone that wants to shoot in this to participate against the BEST from each organization. It is still very early in the planning stages and will most likely not happen until 2019. The format from what most people are saying they want is 1 yardage per day per gun( 6 power 100-6 power 200 then 100 VFS and 200 VFS). We will work on a cash option 100% payback as well as individual, team, 2 gun and overall organization awards. I just putting this out there to see what kind of interest this might create and some ideas on what you think might work best.

I like it Jim, but a "Triple Crown" would be even better. UBR on the last day...no x's, just points. That's UBR and that would shake things up, especially at 200. There is the caliber neutral aspect but I'm sure most if not all the IBS and NBRSA shooters will be shooting a 30 anyway.

I think it's a great idea, either way.

Rimfire has a triple Crown, where they shoot IR50, ARA and PSL targets. It brings in a big crowd, is heavily promoted and they have some very nice prizes.. They have to limit the number of shooters. People come from different countries to attend.

Kudos for thinking outside of the box. Hope it happens. Sort of a Score Super Shoot!

Good luck, my friend!

Last edited:
Mike that's exactly what I want to come from this is people getting excited to compete against people they most likely have never competed against before. I talked to Jackie about this and he mentioned it to Danny, he isn't interested unless we use the caliber neutral target and the other two organizations don't recognize it. I would encourage anyone that wants to compete from the custom class to join us as that gun would be legal. We are still early in the planning but anything is possible and I hope it will something people would want to try.

Mike that's exactly what I want to come from this is people getting excited to compete against people they most likely have never competed against before. I talked to Jackie about this and he mentioned it to Danny, he isn't interested unless we use the caliber neutral target and the other two organizations don't recognize it. I would encourage anyone that wants to compete from the custom class to join us as that gun would be legal. We are still early in the planning but anything is possible and I hope it will something people would want to try.

I think it'll go over well. I would simply use the correct UBR target for each respective shooter, if at all possible. Shouldn't be a big deal. We do it at every UBR match. Shoot the three respective organisation's targets, uner their respective rules. The only problem is records and points.

This shoot can stand on its own, like the Super Shoot. So rules and records start now. You can set the rules right now, to allow or disallow whatever. I'd leave it very open, if it were me. Equipment rules mostly just limit people's ability to experiment. I think 15lb weight limit and 3" forearm is good. That'll allow most UBR Unlimited bag guns to compete and there's no real advantage to that 1.5lbs. Run whatcha brung, for the most part.

This is the most exciting thing I've heard in a long time, if it can be worked out.

Last edited:
Jcline

Sound like another fun shoot!

just another option: Shoot to be held in 2019!

2018 IBS Nationals Htr top 10 & VFS top 10
VS
2018 NBRSA Nationals Htr top 10 & VFS top 10

Targets & scoring would be easier to keep track of.

Russ

I think it'll go over well. I would simply use the correct UBR target for each respective shooter, if at all possible. Shouldn't be a big deal. We do it at every UBR match. Shoot the three respective organisation's targets, uner their respective rules. The only problem is records and points.

This shoot can stand on its own, like the Super Shoot. So rules and records start now. You can set the rules right now, to allow or disallow whatever. I'd leave it very open, if it were me. Equipment rules mostly just limit people's ability to experiment. I think 15lb weight limit and 3" forearm is good. That'll allow most UBR Unlimited bag guns to compete and there's no real advantage to that 1.5lbs. Run whatcha brung, for the most part.

This is the most exciting thing I've heard in a long time, if it can be worked out.
Well if anybody can pull it off Mike it's Jim. IMO his shoots that he puts on in Orangeburg, SC are second to none.

Right now in the Gulf Coast Region, we have some type of shoot just about every other week end. That's including bother the Long Range Score Nationals and 200/300 Group Nationals.

Finding time to work something like that in will be pretty difficult.

As for your teams, I would suggest each Region select shooters to make up teams. The Regions know their shooters better than the Organization as a whole.

Right now in the Gulf Coast Region, we have some type of shoot just about every other week end. That's including bother the Long Range Score Nationals and 200/300 Group Nationals.

Finding time to work something like that in will be pretty difficult.

As for your teams, I would suggest each Region select shooters to make up teams. The Regions know their shooters better than the Organization as a whole.
Jackie, Thanks for your response. I am hoping to schedule this late in the year like 1st or 2nd week in November 2019. this will allow people that want to attend time to plan as well as it is the ending of the regular season in both organizations. I hope we can get participants from all over the US to attend as most of the IBS 6 power shooters are in the far NE. Again only in the planning stages and hoping everyone gets excited and wants to participate.

Jackie, Thanks for your response. I am hoping to schedule this late in the year like 1st or 2nd week in November 2019. this will allow people that want to attend time to plan as well as it is the ending of the regular season in both organizations. I hope we can get participants from all over the US to attend as most of the IBS 6 power shooters are in the far NE. Again only in the planning stages and hoping everyone gets excited and wants to participate.
Maybe Jim we can get a dozen or so guy's from the IBS and go shoot against the NBRSA guy's in Webster City, Iowa this year? I know that we talked about it weeks ago. I know Greg Palman said that he wanted to go. That makes 3 guys so far.

Last edited:
When I said we had lot of Matches this year in the Gulf Coast Region, well, I received my schedule in the mail today. Here it is. We have 28 NBRSA Registered Matches, including 2 National Events. The ones with the pencil mark are GCR Matches

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20555&stc=1&d=1515634336

This is not counting the various 600 yard ClayBreaks and 500 meter Fly Shoots.

I am trying to pick out the ones that my work schedule will allow me to attend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 451
I can see Mikes mention of including UBR, flew like lead balloons..

I don't know, LW. I'm sure several people see it that wouldn't mind seeing what all the UBR talk is all about.

I think Jims match could work. I don't see how changing targets would be a big deal.

Not my call, but I'd like to see it happen and include all three.

When I said we had lot of Matches this year in the Gulf Coast Region, well, I received my schedule in the mail today. Here it is. We have 28 NBRSA Registered Matches, including 2 National Events. The ones with the pencil mark are GCR Matches

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20555&stc=1&d=1515634336

Jackie, am I correct in assuming that most of the registered shoots in your area rely heavily on volunteers? If so, how do y'all get folks to volunteer? If not, can you explain the details of how y'all get folks to run the matches?

Also, how do y'all get ranges willing to accommodate the shoots?

Last edited:
Jackie, am I correct in assuming that most of the registered shoots in your area rely heavily on volunteers? If so, how do y'all get folks to volunteer? If not, can you explain the details of how y'all get folks to run the matches?

Also, how do y'all get ranges willing to accommodate the shoots?

Midland, Tomball, Denton, Lake Charles, and Lubbock are all Private Gun Clubs. They rely on members of the Club to act as Match Director and any other jobs required to put on a Match. If nobody volunteers their time, you don't have Matches.

Walker County is solely owned by Larry and Beth Deese. It is not a Club with members. They hire their own help and Larry runs the Match.

Gun Clubs are no different than any other volunteer organization, whether it be Boy Scouts, Church, Car Clubs, etc. 100 percent of the work is done but 1 percent of the members..........if you are lucky.

S.s.s.

Just for the record Jim I like the idea of what you're trying to do, however UBR leadership cannot make it encumbent on our shooters to use a .30 cal just to play the game, hopefully this can be understood. I think our shooters can compete with anyone has we have demonstrated time and again. Much success in your endeavors Danny.

Just for the record Jim I like the idea of what you're trying to do, however UBR leadership cannot make it encumbent on our shooters to use a .30 cal just to play the game, hopefully this can be understood. I think our shooters can compete with anyone has we have demonstrated time and again. Much success in your endeavors Danny.

I personally do not see where a 30 is at a disadvantage in UBR. A well tuned 30 will Agg just as well as a well tuned 6PPC. So it's up to the Shooter.

I have said it before, at any given Benchrest Match, 80 percent of the Rifles are at about a .280+ aging capability. That's not going to get you much, whether you are shooting Group or Score.

Last edited:
I personally do not see where a 30 is at a disadvantage in UBR. A well tuned 30 will Agg just as well as a well tuned 6PPC. So it's up to the Shooter.

I have aid it before, at any given Benchrest Match, 80 percent of the Rifles are at about a .280+ aging capability. That's not going to get you much, whether you are shooting Group or Score.

Jackie,
I think you misunderstand what Danny said. To compete on an IBS/NBRSA target UBR shooters would be compelled to shoot a 30 to be competitive. The overwhelming majority of UBR shooters are now using some form of 6mm and .224, (6PPC, 6 BR, 6 Beggs, 6 BRA, 220 Beggs). The UBR target has been proven ( by measurements) to be a tougher target than the IBS/NBRSA target, but giving up the difference between a .243 & .308 is a bridge too far. Using a caliber neutral target we would compete with anyone. I wish Jim luck with his project and hope he can make it work.

Rick

I have aid it before, at any given Benchrest Match, 80 percent of the Rifles are at about a .280+ aging capability. That's not going to get you much, whether you are shooting Group or Score.

Jackie's first sentence cannot be over-stated: without equal precision, there can be no advantage.

Then, at 200 Yd., the meager (radial, or, shot-to-shot) advantage literally disappears with wind: a measly one MPH constant velocity and [perpendicular] vector drags the bullets, in common use, something over 0.4", or, when comparing a 6mm to a thirty cal,TEN times the perceived advantage . . . perception does become reality. It's really all about tuning and shooting. Does anybody know someone who can dope a one MPH velocity difference, let alone, a fraction thereof?

I'll quit - I don't want to get this discussion too far off the very good topic. Keep 'em ON the X! RG

Last edited:
I'm working on putting together a score shooting match where the IBS and NBRSA will select members from each organization to represent them at this shoot. The organization will determine who gets selected from their own members to compete on the teams , but I'm thinking it would be best to allow anyone that wants to shoot in this to participate against the BEST from each organization. It is still very early in the planning stages and will most likely not happen until 2019. The format from what most people are saying they want is 1 yardage per day per gun( 6 power 100-6 power 200 then 100 VFS and 200 VFS). We will work on a cash option 100% payback as well as individual, team, 2 gun and overall organization awards. I just putting this out there to see what kind of interest this might create and some ideas on what you think might work best.
. Great idea. Let me know if and how I can help.

I agree entirely but I have no problem shooting my 30.

Back