Scopes

I think you are right

IMO my March 48 HM is close to my 3 NF Comps in brightness and resolution, but my eyes still give the edge to the NF. I trust all of my March's when it comes to holding POI. I don't trust any of my Comps to hold POI after what Alex Wheeler of Wheeler Accuracy posted when he took 4 separate NF 15-55's and one of Hood's scope checker tested each of them. All 4 of them printed the same way. Each of the 6 shots kept printing higher from shot 1 to 6. I took my only 55 off my 2 & 300 yard dedicated rifle because it wasn't shooting as good as it use to. I put my March 10-60 Tactical on it and won the 1st 200 yard match that I shot with it and the 2nd match that I shot with it I came in 4th on Sunday at the Nationals in Weikert. I have no faith in NF scopes anymore.

on Jim. There seems to be a good book of evidence that the march scope really is designed internally to hold POI. The issue with glass brightness, clarity while a big issue with some isn't the over riding factor imo. It's the ability of the scope to track and hold POI. Durability counts too. The many reports of current NF scopes not being able to hold POI should be disturbing to a shooter. I would take a slightly inferior image and solid ability to hold POI over a slight perceived glass quality in a scope brand that has issues.

Regarding internal erector support and adjustment robustness, I can only recall a couple of direct comments from folks in the past. One was from Wally Siebert. He said that if you could look inside an old steel tube El Paso Weaver you would understand why they were so reliable and could be fixed if necessary. The other was a few comments by Jackie Schmidt about the adjustment design of the Weaver T36. Otherwise we are at a loss, other than reading comments from owners about the reliability of a scope to track and hold. Most of us can't tear one down. We can see glass quality. NF scopes cost less so probably they will show up in the equipment lists more frequently. However if March has the edge in tracking and holding, that's would be worth more to me if I were buying. jmo.

The march new 48x is the best right now
Next would be the night force 42.
There is a Definite difference in power .
I like the power .

Lou, kinda on a whim, I just ordered a 48x March fromBillets.com. I should get it by Friday.

We have a NBRSA VFS Match over in Lake Charles Sunday. I will mount it and see how it does.

Hi , was considering the march 48x for short range BR and would like to ask those of you that have the LR reticle what you think about this reticle and advantage if any.

Thanks inadvance

Thanks again folks. Interesting findings by Alex Wheeler. The time required to do this detailed testing sure is appreciated. Will take a look at the new March scope specs.

IMO my March 48 HM is close to my 3 NF Comps in brightness and resolution, but my eyes still give the edge to the NF. I trust all of my March's when it comes to holding POI. I don't trust any of my Comps to hold POI after what Alex Wheeler of Wheeler Accuracy posted when he took 4 separate NF 15-55's and one of Hood's scope checker tested each of them. All 4 of them printed the same way. Each of the 6 shots kept printing higher from shot 1 to 6. I took my only 55 off my 2 & 300 yard dedicated rifle because it wasn't shooting as good as it use to. I put my March 10-60 Tactical on it and won the 1st 200 yard match that I shot with it and the 2nd match that I shot with it I came in 4th on Sunday at the Nationals in Weikert. I have no faith in NF scopes anymore.

Jim - do you recall where Alex posted his findings?

Hi , was considering the march 48x for short range BR and would like to ask those of you that have the LR reticle what you think about this reticle and advantage if any.
Thanks inadvance

Some years ago, I had a old Leupold 36x BR that had a reticle like that. I bought it used, and the reticle had been put in by Premier, I think. I bought it from Ed Watson.

I doubt it is of any help in short range Benchrest.

Is that LR reticle offered in the new 48x?

Last edited:
Lou, kinda on a whim, I just ordered a 48x March fromBillets.com. I should get it by Friday.

We have a NBRSA VFS Match over in Lake Charles Sunday. I will mount it and see how it does.

Jackie, You won't be disappointed, It is brighter than the 10-60's but the Valdada is brighter than it but12 less power. It is hard to compare them that far apart. The March is rock solid and moves great, parallax is good too and the weight is right....... Jim

Some years ago, I had a old Leupold 36x BR that had a reticle like that. I bought it used, and the reticle had been put in by Premier, I think. I bought it from Ed Watson.

I doubt it is of any help in short range Benchrest.

Is that LR reticle offered in the new 48x?

Jackie. March does offer the LR reticle on their 40-60 zoom but not on the 48X. The 48 comes in 4 choices, fine CH, 1/16,3/32 and 1/8 dot.

Last edited:
Jackie. March does not offer a LR reticle anymore on any of their scopes. The 48 comes in 4 choices, fine CH, 1/16,3/32 and 1/8 dot.

Guys , I pretty sure they still do according to march web site , this type of reticle is supposed to give you more view for flag reading

Jackie, You won't be disappointed, It is brighter than the 10-60's but the Valdada is brighter than it but12 less power. It is hard to compare them that far apart. The March is rock solid and moves great, parallax is good too and the weight is right....... Jim

Jim, a higher power scope will not be as bright as a lower power scope, given the same diameter objective lens.

Does anybody have an actual phone number for Bullets.com?. I ordered that scope early this morning, the site says it was in stock for emmediate delivery.

I got my email confirmation and the order said,.....back order.

That's BS. They do not give a actual phone number on their site. I emailed them and have been waiting 5 hours for a reply.

If they can't get it to me now, after stating on their site it was in stock, they can keep it.

Jim, a higher power scope will not be as bright as a lower power scope, given the same diameter objective lens.

I think that is what I said 36 verses the March HM 48 power. The 10-60 even on the same power is darker. My range is in the woods and I could not shoot in the morning with the 10-60 but with the Valdada 36 and the March HM 48 I can........ Jim

I have a 60X March and if it is bright out I use the reducer, and if it is dark, I take it off.

Must be different than my 10-60's and a 50 power...... the 48 HM is head and shoulders better for brightness and it shoots small...... and repeats. .. Jim

Must be different than my 10-60's and a 50 power...... the 48 HM is head and shoulders better for brightness and it shoots small...... and repeats. .. Jim

A couple of months ago I was having trouble with one of my NF Competition 15x55s. At that time I bought a March HM 48X. I have found it to be much brighter than my March 10x60s. I'm old and my eyes were never great, so although I do like the HM 48X, I do prefer more magnification at 200 & 300 yds. I have the 48X on a 220 Beggs and those .224 holes are pretty small at 200/300, On the good side of things, I did send my malfunctioning NF Comp to NF. They only kept it one week and I had three phone conversations with Customer Service. They told me on the first call that they didn't anticipate finding anything wrong. On the second call they told me they had thoroughly examined the scope and found no problems, but asked me to call once I got it back and tried it. When I received the returned scope I put it on my scope checker and found no problems, although it had been moving significantly before I sent it in. On the third call I related that the scope was good now. They did deny that anything was corrected, but it works now, so I'm a happy camper. IME-everything mechanical malfunctions eventually. The scope that I sent in was one of the first sold. It has been shot in many matches and has been on two or three rifles. I can understand that NF doesn't want to admit that there is a problem. AS long as they fix the problem, I'm good with that. I still have that scope and three more. I intend to keep them all.

Rick

It is a black ring that screws into the far end housing, it cuts down on the amount of light entering the scope. And it fits into the leather cap just perfectly. So when I don't use it, it is in the leather cover. PERFECT, but that does not help with my PERCEIVED problem.

I used my new March 48X HM last Sunday at Lake Charles on my 30BR. I like it.

I'm going to sell two of my NF 42x and get another March.

You all know me. When I decide to change things, I sell the old stuff at VERY reasonable prices. Any takers?

Last edited:
Back