Scope zero/ wind reading.

TrxR

For you guys that shoot benchrest score. Do you set up on a calm day to zero then hold off for wind conditions? Or do you watch for the most consistent condition for the day and zero for that then hold off for wind changed from there?

Also any have a good wind chart for rimfire? Most wind charts ive seen are centerd around centerfire and some even claim a direct head or tail wind doesnt meen anything.

In your experience does a head wind move the poi up or down?

Thanks

chasing conditions by adjusting scope rarely works in your favor. check your setting and by watching flags hold off. as a day progresses your zero is going to change any way. light angle and wind not to mention your eyes and any mirage.

What I have been doing is when i sit down at my bench i watch to see what the most percistant wind is then i have been dialing that in as my zero then i try to pick atleast one more condition, usually the complete opposite and see what my hold off is for that. I may be going about it totally wrong though. Im looking for others opinions especially those with more experience .

I overall have problems with head and tail winds as they dont seem consistent on wether the push high or low.

Thanks

Blades tells the truth

I haven't fired a shot in years so take this with a little salt...

In addition, use the sighter to determine where to hold. Some days you don't have enough ammo or sighter targets (or time) to do it. Rarely can you find a scope setting such that you don't have to hold off. Learn how long it takes per bull to finish and be mindful of that. That's easier said than done but have some thoughts on it. What I'm trying to say is don't guess unless you have to because of time.

Learn to shoot rather quickly while being careful not to get "caught". Some rifles (and maybe ammo) will shoot through a change while others WILL NOT! Said differently...90% of the rifles on any line WILL NOT and 90% is being generous.

We are given lots of time generally . One range is 20 minutes for 20 score shots the other is 30min for 25 score shots. But i have used every last second a time or two when the wind wouldnt keep swapping around.

Set that first flag closer to the rifle. The wind at the bench will hurt badly if you don't see it...any wind.

Back