Scope With The Most MOA Elevation Adjustment ??

billt

I'm thinking of setting up a Remington 700 Sendero in .300 Win. Mag as a long range boomer. I'm leaning to a Leupold Mark IV 16X 40 MM because of it's very large MOA elevation adjustment. (140 MOA total, 70 MOA either side of zero). That would allow me to utilize a 40 MOA Nightforce Steel Base, and still have 30 MOA downward adjustment when zeroed at 100 yards. On the upside, I would have a full 110 MOA upward adjustment. This would allow for very long range shooting with no holdover. Even longer using the Mil-Dot System.

My question is does the Leupold 16X 40 MM offer the largest MOA elevation adjustment of scopes in this price range? Here is the scope:

https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-mark-4-16x40-lr-t-m1-riflescope-mil-dot-reticle-matte.html

scope with the most elevation adjustment

I'm thinking of setting up a Remington 700 Sendero in .300 Win. Mag as a long range boomer. I'm leaning to a Leupold Mark IV 16X 40 MM because of it's very large MOA elevation adjustment. (140 MOA total, 70 MOA either side of zero). That would allow me to utilize a 40 MOA Nightforce Steel Base, and still have 30 MOA downward adjustment when zeroed at 100 yards. On the upside, I would have a full 110 MOA upward adjustment. This would allow for very long range shooting with no holdover. Even longer using the Mil-Dot System.

My question is does the Leupold 16X 40 MM offer the largest MOA elevation adjustment of scopes in this price range? Here is the scope:

https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-mark-4-16x40-lr-t-m1-riflescope-mil-dot-reticle-matte.html

Great scope choice! I used one for 1000 yard BR with a 6BR. While the power is not that high, I was able to focus the crosshairs on the target by aligning the hairs with one corner of the white square of the target.
I do in fact have one for sale if you're interested.

Mark

about HALF the power you need for COMPETITIVE br shooting at 1000 yards.

the mil snipers current popular issue scope is the 5.5-22x nightforce with 100 moa in elevation.

that is for LARGE targets out to 1200 -1500 plus yards.

about HALF the power you need for COMPETITIVE br shooting at 1000 yards.

the mil snipers current popular issue scope is the 5.5-22x nightforce with 100 moa in elevation.

that is for LARGE targets out to 1200 -1500 plus yards.

BillT asked about the scope with the most come-ups..............that would be the Mark 4 16 power with 140 minutes of elevation! I've used a Leupold fixed 36 power, as well as a Nightforce 12-42 BR.

While 16 power may not be enough power to satisfy some, it does work......it can also have the power bumped to 24x. When using a fixed power scope, the mirage can be a real problem when the temperature goes up.

having moa dial up does not allow you to SEE the target any better.
the mil for EVER stuck with fixed and low powered scopes.
they finally saw the light and moved into modern shooting
when they out fitted their 300 win mags with night force 5.5-22x
with 100 moa of elevation.

why would you need/ever use 30 moa DOWN from a 100 yard zero ??
define long range...as in number of yards

why would you need/ever use 30 moa DOWN from a 100 yard zero ??

You wouldn't. All I'm saying is that with the Mark IV 16X 40 MM, you have a total of 140 MOA of vertical adjustment as the scope comes from the box. 70 MOA either side of zero. So.... If you were to employ a 40 MOA base you would be required to "use up" 40 MOA of that vertical downward adjustment in order to zero out that scope at 100 yards. This would leave you with a total of 110 MOA of upward adjustment for shooting well beyond your 100 yard zero. You would still have another 30 MOA downward adjustment left after you've achieved that. My point is you are not running the scope anywhere near the vertical stop by utilizing a 40 MOA base. You still have another 30 MOA to play with.

having moa dial up does not allow you to SEE the target any better.
the mil for EVER stuck with fixed and low powered scopes.

The fact of the matter is the longest recorded kill in military history was by Craig Harrison in 2009. He connected at 2,707 yards. His scope was a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 PM II. If 12X has been proven at that distance, 16X is more than enough magnification for ANY long distance shooting I will ever engage in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

where did you find the 12x info..i see it no where other than listed as an option..options which include the s&b 5-25x.

you did not define your version of long distance

The fact of the matter is the longest recorded kill in military history was by Craig Harrison in 2009. He connected at 2,707 yards. His scope was a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 PM II. If 12X has been proven at that distance, 16X is more than enough magnification for ANY long distance shooting I will ever engage in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

Last edited by a moderator:
The Accuracy International Arctic Warfare ..338 is a bolt action, detachable magazine-fed, precision rifle. The rifle is about 15 pounds, unloaded and without optics. It can mount a variety of telescopic sights, laser designators, and night vision or thermal sights. In British service, it usually mounts a S&B 5-25x56mm day scope.

If you check military records that are in the public domain regarding long distance shooting, as well as sniper kills. There have been almost too many to count that have been made well over 1,000 yards with fixed power scopes in the 10X to 16X range. And many over 2,000. It has been proven a 25X scope is not necessary. As far as defining what range?..... As far as the .300 Win. Mag. is capable of shooting. I would rather have the greater MOA adjustment, than the increased magnification.

Back to my original question. Does anyone know of a scope with a greater MOA adjustment, (140 MOA), than the Leupold Mark IV 16X 40 MM?

KEEP CONFUSING YOURSELF WITH THE PAST.
modern snipers do not use low powered scopes for long range.
you will note the long range record is nto a 300 win mag but a 338 lapua mag.
with a 5-25x scope..
you have a good day in your haze.

If you check military records that are in the public domain regarding long distance shooting, as well as sniper kills. There have been almost too many to count that have been made well over 1,000 yards with fixed power scopes in the 10X to 16X range. And many over 2,000. It has been proven a 25X scope is not necessary. As far as defining what range?..... As far as the .300 Win. Mag. is capable of shooting. I would rather have the greater MOA adjustment, than the increased magnification.

Back to my original question. Does anyone know of a scope with a greater MOA adjustment, (140 MOA), than the Leupold Mark IV 16X 40 MM?

And thanks for answering my highlighted question I asked in my original post. Now you can go on disbelieving history, and argue with yourself. I'm not interested.

Do you lose vertical MOA adjustment when you have the power bumped to 24X?

That I'm unsure about, but if you contact Bill Ackerman, I believe he is one of the fellows that do bumps.

As for CMaer, your latest response to him was great! Arguments happen all the time on the internet that would be far more courteous if said in person.

I still think your scope choice would be a good one for your intended purpose.. These scopes (in my not so humble opinion) are the most "bulletproof" of all the choices out there! They proved their reliability for years due to their simplicity and a lot less moving parts as opposed to the variables.

The 5.5-22 Nightforce is a great scope as long as the weight isn't a problem. I currently have one. My Mark4 is only for sale because I no longer have a rifle to put it on.

thanks for defining LONG DISTANCE
And thanks for answering my highlighted question I asked in my original post. Now you can go on disbelieving history, and argue with yourself. I'm not interested.

the fed match 190 gr load is advertised at 2700 fps.
with a 100 yd zero it has about a 350 inch drop at 1000 yards.
you only need 35 moa up from your zero.

there are much better choices in scopes.

define long distance and your target.

180's run as much as 2950 or so with only a 300 in drop at 1000 yds
but
they are not recommended BEYOND 400 yards.

I have two Baush & Lomb 10x Tacticals. They are original Baush & Lombs, not Bushnels.
One is mounted on a AR-50 (50 BMG). They have 145 MOA of up. I mounted it so I have access to all of the 145 MOA as "UP"

That is the most I have ever seen.

I have shot the rifle to 1,900 meters, but it will go to 2,900 meters if I can find the range.

Back