Scope Rings

D

DrDave

I have a Cheetah mach II chambered on a Hall Action with Davidson bases, a set of Jewell Rings and a Leupold 6.5X20-40 scope. As near as I can measure the ring height is one inch from the top of the dovetail to the center of the scope bore. This is too high for my application. The rifle is used as a varmint rifle so I want to be able to cheek the stock firmly. I see that Kelbly makes a short ring that is .88 inch in height but I would like to get to the range of a .75 inch height. What are my options? Thanks in advance.

hmm, sounds like your options are to use the Kelbly "short" ring anyway, or to try to find even shorter rings. Or, change out the base to something that doesn't require dovetail rings and you'll have way more ring options. Have you tried Google search for dovetail ring options? Or Sinclair?

Sinclair is the one who sent me to the forum. I would like to find something shorter than the Kelbly's. I know of no other bases that will fit a Hall action. I am hoping someone here know's where there are shorter dovetail rings available.

Contact the Talley ring people. What they will probably have that will fit your application is a ring/base combo. Thing you need to know when you call them is:

Hole spacing
Action diameter
Screw size
Height of ring wanted

They have never failed me on getting something matched up. I did one time have to get a set that was for a smaller action screw. I just drilled out the hole and picked up some screws (or use them from the other set of bases) and bingo...good to go.

Hovis

I guess the other way to approach this is to have the McMillan stock modified to make it adjustable in the cheek area and thus raise it up. Any good recommendations on who to use for a procedure such as this?

i went throught this a few months ago

I guess the other way to approach this is to have the McMillan stock modified to make it adjustable in the cheek area and thus raise it up. Any good recommendations on who to use for a procedure such as this?

I dont know which Hall action you have, but mine is an M I belive. And I called Mr Hall and he asked if i had to make weight for a class. I told him no, and he said that the Hall action I had used 2 front weaver bases from a remington and to use them and the burris signature rings. I put it together just as he said only I used the steel weaver bases. The steel bases may be over kill but they work well and I have not had any problems. The Burris rings come in at least 4 heights for 1 inch, 30mm maybe 3. They are very easy on a scope an your wallet.

Thanks guys for all of your help. The Weaver bases for a Remington worked great. The medium ring probably would have worked but I only had .002 inches scope clearance so I went with the high ring. I dropped that scope height nearly a half inch which was just perfect.

Back