Scope ring lapping and bedding

Finally got back to this one. Lapped the top ring halves. They were pretty round out of the box.
Since there wasn't much taken off, the Pro Bed was thinned a bit. Chamfered the edges and the gun is ready for a scope and some range time.
With our racing season on hold, maybe some range work can start this week.:)
Good shootin'. :) -Al

Can't wait to learn about THAT! :eek:;)RG

Hi Al. This is all really great stuff.

Thank you for taking the time for taking photo's and explaining what you do and why.

Very much appreciated!

* doggie *

way back when

Finally got back to this one. Lapped the top ring halves. They were pretty round out of the box.

2tkqwXmm.jpg

Since there wasn't much taken off, the Pro Bed was thinned a bit. Chamfered the edges and the gun is ready for a scope and some range time.

EmR716pm.jpg

With our racing season on hold, maybe some range work can start this week.:)

Good shootin'. :) -Al
in 70s used ground rod to lap scoje rings

Since the tube on the 36 Leupolds is so thin, it was not uncommon to get thoroughly used scopes with distorted tubes, probably from overclamping in out of round rings.
Copied from above--

Another way scopes get 'distorted' is not using one of those Leupold wrenches to turn in the lower 1/2 of the ring but using the scope to twist em in---yuk.

Would the Burris Z rings with the inserts eliminate the need for lapping? Just asking. Thanks.

I have lapped, bedded, used alignment tools, etc. I guess I have become lazy in my old age. Now I use the Burris signature Z rings on almost everything unless weight is an issue. They are not always the solution, and they will slip if used with a heavy scope and a high recoiling setup ( like a 300 Ultra Mag Sporter for example). They are not available for 34MM scopes. They also are not available in a very low configuration. I use them on all my hunting rifles, my 600 yd. gun, and my rimfires.

Back