Scope durability ?

antelopedundee

internet bum
I have an older Redfield Golden 5 star scope. What"s the likelihood that it won't get destroyed if it gets put onto a muzzleloader? I know that rifle scopes aren't generally advised to be used on shotguns or air rifles because of the type of recoil. What about muzzleloaders? Ok to use on one or not?

Last edited:
I have never understood

I have an older Redfield Golden 5 star scope. What"s the likelihood that it won't get destroyed if it gets put onto a muzzleloader? I know that rifle scopes aren't generally advised to be used on shotguns or air rifles because of the type of recoil. What about muzzleloaders? Ok to use on one or not?

why some advise not using scopes on rimfires unless they are "rimfire" scopes. Recoil is recoil, albeit more civilized with a rimfire. Perhaps someone can comment?

ty

why some advise not using scopes on rimfires unless they are "rimfire" scopes. Recoil is recoil, albeit more civilized with a rimfire. Perhaps someone can comment?

Hi Greg. Agreed on the rimfires.

Springer air rifles can be real scope killers due to the 'reverse recoil'. The 3-9 A.O. scope on my good springer match rifle weighs 24 oz. It has a muzzle brake that should help scope life.

It's a great rig for whackin' rabbits and gophers around my sod hut here on the prairie.... ;) -Al

If you need a scope..put a scope on it and enjoy yourself. If you find the scope goofed up get another.

Al

Hi Greg. Agreed on the rimfires.

Springer air rifles can be real scope killers due to the 'reverse recoil'. The 3-9 A.O. scope on my good springer match rifle weighs 24 oz. It has a muzzle brake that should help scope life.

It's a great rig for whackin' rabbits and gophers around my sod hut here on the prairie.... ;) -Al

I've heard that about spring and piston air rifles. Makes sense. Around my place, I've been shootin' mice off my tractor while mowing the fields this fall with my model 19 2-1/2". More mice in the field = fewer in the house!

Redfield

I guess it would be hard to send a Redfield scope back to the factory when their out of business. I wasn't thinking. I had a 6-18 redfield I sent to Ironsight in OK. I think Tulsa. Fixed it. Doug

I guess it would be hard to send a Redfield scope back to the factory when their out of business. I wasn't thinking. I had a 6-18 redfield I sent to Ironsight in OK. I think Tulsa. Fixed it. Doug

May not be worth it if it does go titsup. What usually happens when they fail? Not my muzzleloader, giving it to a family member to use on his smoke pole.

Depends on what you have the scope on. A scope that wanders an inch shot to shot on a converted military rifle might never be detected....etc and so forth....

Back