SBL 13 Lathe

What would you folks consider acceptable spindle play front and back when you do a lift test? My new-to-me SBL 13 has 0.004 in the front and 0.003 in the back.

Thanks.

What would you folks consider acceptable spindle play front and back when you do a lift test? My new-to-me SBL 13 has 0.004 in the front and 0.003 in the back.

Thanks.

Nez,

IIRC, the desired numbers for my old Heavy 10, were .0007 to .0015. Since the 13's look like big Heavy 10's, I would imagine it's the same.

Do an internet search on adjusting SB bearings and you'll find a wealth of information on same. If you can't get acceptable numbers, I would suspect spindle or bearing wear. I couldn't find anybody that made replacement bearings, so I made my own.

Justin

Probably too much Nez. Look at your shims and see what you can take out. Your best source for help and info on Southbend's is Practical Machinist Southbend forum. Stephen

Last edited:
Maybe

Thanks.

the shims are laminated like in some of the other SB models. If so, you can peel a segment or two and see where you get. You will want to leave at least .0005" for expansion, they do build heat when they are tightened up. Mebby even .001". I think Machinery's Handbook says one thou per inch + for a running fit.

Did you measure it warmed up?

Pete

Thank y'all for the responses, will dig into it maybe tonight.

Pete,

Yes, I ran it for 20 minutes at full speed before testing. I did not measure temperature as to how much it went above ambient.

Last edited:
Removed 1 shim from each side of the cap got the play to around 0.0008 on the front. Could not find the torque spec on the bearing cap bolts. Used 30 ft-lb. Ran spindle at max for 20 minutes, bearing cap temperature went up less than 20 degrees over ambient. I will call the front side good for now.

Last edited:
Back