Savage Rebarrel

And I routinely run 80.000psi :)

!!

This is why you need a PERFECTLY square action face and a square abutting surface on the barrel, and 100-125ft/lb (lubricated) to load the joint. It will unload and move over if you let it.

al

chestsprings, that much off is NOT the action, look at your recoil lug and scope or rings. To be off that bad, the barrel would need to be pointing in another direction than your action, a lot. I shortened a barrel that was bad at the end and it did that. Shot very well after I cut it back.

Unfortunately this has become a common problem...and it's almost always caused by improper chambering methods. There are a lot of substandard "custom gunsmith" chambered barrels out there that aren't perpendicular to the action.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Greg,
I am interested, but a little confused. Please elaborate as to the condition, and the probable way that it occurred.
Thanks,
Boyd

Unfortunately this has become a common problem...and it's almost always caused by improper chambering methods. There are a lot of substandard "custom gunsmith" chambered barrels out there that aren't perpendicular to the action.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

these three barrels were bought from the manufacture, not chambered by others.

my thoughts, & I'm just a novice in this---if the action/base holes are drilled off center of the action threads, or the action is warped, I would think it doesn't make an difference how straight the barrel is, how it's chambered, etc., as the scope base is always pointing to the right. good thing Burris inserts can take care of this.

Another dumb question-------are all BR chambered barrels threads completely true, & actions too. if so, then a person mounting a scope could have the scope set at mid point, & not do any adjustments to it at 100yds, etc.

if this sounds like a dumb question, that's just me

some day I'll find some one who can either make the action straight, or redrill the base holes centered to the action threads.

Another dumb question-------are all BR chambered barrels threads completely true, & actions too. if so, then a person mounting a scope could have the scope set at mid point, & not do any adjustments to it at 100yds, etc.

if this sounds like a dumb question, that's just me

some day I'll find some one who can either make the action straight, or redrill the base holes centered to the action threads.

OK OK...... first of all THE ONLY 'DUMB QUESTION' IS THE ONE YOU DIDN'T ASK!!!!

Whewww...... got that out.

YES, generally speaking BR actions are straight enough that given a straight barrel it's perty easy to point it right at the center of the target. YES you can generally chamber up a 20-23" benchrest style blank "between centers" (which only means that you have 3 points lined up, muzzle-to-leade-to-base of chamber, no matter HOW you physically accomplish it) and hit the target within 3-4 inches at 100yds.

The measurements/alignment required to find inches at 100yds fall under "gross measurements" in machinist-speak. Easily established, predicted, accounted for.

al

these three barrels were bought from the manufacture, not chambered by others.

my thoughts, & I'm just a novice in this---if the action/base holes are drilled off center of the action threads, or the action is warped, I would think it doesn't make an difference how straight the barrel is, how it's chambered, etc., as the scope base is always pointing to the right. good thing Burris inserts can take care of this.

The base holes are fine. They are drilled and tapped in gang tooling at the same time as the action screws. They do warp some from heat treating but never any amount you would have an issue with. The barrel, barrel nut, recoil lug and scope and mounting are the possibilities.

I'd put my money on the barrels... I've had similar issues (only dang reason I keep using those Burris Signature Zee rings...) with factory barrels - have one pointing one way, the next another direction, etc. Screw a half-ways decent pre-threaded & chambered custom barrel on there... problem goes away.

The base holes are fine. They are drilled and tapped in gang tooling at the same time as the action screws. They do warp some from heat treating but never any amount you would have an issue with. The barrel, barrel nut, recoil lug and scope and mounting are the possibilities.

you could be right.

I had SSS T&T the action, provide their recoil lug, & provide 3 trued barrel nuts, 1 for each barrel.

I trust SSS work as they have always treated me great on any thing they have done for me.

I changed the scope from my custom Ruger#1, no difference. changed the bases to a two piece weaver, no difference.

I'd put my money on the barrels... I've had similar issues (only dang reason I keep using those Burris Signature Zee rings...) with factory barrels - have one pointing one way, the next another direction, etc. Screw a half-ways decent pre-threaded & chambered custom barrel on there... problem goes away.

I find it hard tro believe that 1 Shilen SSSM, & 2 McGowan SSSM barrels are the problem. these are custom barrrels, not factory. could be maybe for 1 barrel, but 3, Hum-m-m-m.

as I said, at this time, I really don't know , except the only thing that makes sense to me is a warped action/out of line base holes, but as some one pointed out, they didn't think that was possible.

Greg,
I am interested, but a little confused. Please elaborate as to the condition, and the probable way that it occurred.
Thanks,
Boyd

Boyd,

The axis of the barrel is not straight with the face of the action. I’ve seen some so bad that the barrel is visibly cock-eyed in an oversized barrel channel (like on a typical BR stock). Another telltale sign of an off-axis barrel is when the shooter must dial the sights to their extremity, causing optical and mechanical vignetting and other problems.

I’m not really sure how they do it, but I would imagine the dilettante that chambered the barrel tried to either establish concentricity of the bore with no regard to holding the muzzle end of the barrel as a datum in relation to that center, or they bent the barrel setting it up through the headstock of the lathe - or a combination of both.

Greg Walley
Kelbly’s Inc.

Back