Savage Precision Action

A

axlenut

I received a new Savage Precision Target Action this week, right bolt-right port variety, with the .223 Remington bolt face. With all the buzz ‘bout these actions and rifles, my curiosity needed slaking.

First impression: Good gosh, this thing looks as if it resulted from an explosion in a hardware warehouse! The bolt especially appears to have been cobbled together the way I sometimes build things, by cruising the pages of industrial hardware catalogs looking for doodads to adapt to my needs. Closer examination demonstrated the wisdom inherent in the design; floating locking lugs that appear to be in full contact, and a slick functioning bolt right out of the box. There is also a small diameter firing pin – something you pay extra for in some Remington rebuilds.

Downsides are the laser engraved trigger warning taking up most of the left side of the action, and the little tool used to adjust the trigger (bet I can loose it in two notes). Then there is the lack of action screws, the catalog picture shows three screws, yet it ships without them. No matter, ¼-28 is common as dirt. Then, clued in by some of the comments on this forum, I found that indeed the action screw holes need chasing, and the recoil lug pin is too high preventing the lug from seating evenly against the receiver face. After removing burrs that were skimmed off the locating pin when it was pressed in, and being sure it was fully seated with a nudge from my press, it was dressed down until it measured .338” high (including the recoil lug). This allowed clearance for the lug to seat fully against the receiver. The lug itself measured a consistent .249” thick and looks to be dead flat.

The best part is the trigger – it dang near rivals my Jewel Varmint for letoff, and far surpasses the Cooper trigger. Now all I have do is wait for the Shilen Select Match grade Savage replacement barrel in .204 Ruger, and find a laminate wood stock to pillar bed, and I’m in business. Glad I read about these actions here. So far, I’d recommend them as a bargain at $525.00.

I've repeatedly considered a similar build. Let us know hot it turns out!

Recoil Lug

Even the Target action comes with a stamped recoil lug with its inherit flaws as you pointed out. I would highly the SSS recoil lug. Milled flat with a drilled alignment pin and is about 50% thicker than the factory job. A good investment for $28 in my book.

You are a couple of months ahead of me. I found the actions a little cheaper than that.

Luck in your build, tiny

Tiny, if you have a Savage target action with a stamped recoil lug, give savage a call. there should be a ground lug with the action. I have 2 of these actions , one came with a ground lug the other with a stamped one, a call to savage and they sent me a new ground lug.
I think there actions are a great deal for the money, a lot better than anything
else out there.
Ken

Last edited:
Nice action...

I have 2 of these actions , one came with a ground lug the other with a stamped one, a call to savage and they sent me a new ground lug.

I have found that now these actions are shipped with the ground recoil lug...
Yes, that hardwear store like Ace have a great Allen head 1/4 - 28 from 1/2 - 2 7/8" long and are great for action screws.

Two I built have made REALY fine rifles.... Both for the varmint fields... Down deep I would like to build one myself for VFS shoots... Maby one day...

cale

If you think it works pretty slick now,, send it to Moreo for a truing and timing. He works wonders on them.

Hope you are as pleased with yours as I have been.

Yep the recoil lug is ground, it appears to be close to the one Greg Tannel used on my Remington, except for his having dual pins. That's one reason I was impressed - Savage is trying to please it's customers while keeping things reasonably priced. Value is the key, and this action is a good value. Just having a factory single shot target action on the market is quite a show of respect toward the shooting public. Imagine the discussion in the legal department regarding offering a bare action anyone could twist their own barrel on and shoot!

You probably can get them cheaper, but my local dealer here in California (Imbert & Smithers) is one of Savage's authorized dealers as listed on their website. I dealt with them for about 35 years - you've probably seen them on Myth Busters - so I gave them my support even if I could have saved a few bucks elsewhere. It's a real old fashioned gun store started back in the late 1960's by Gene Imbert and the late Bill Smithers, and that's a delight.

My point in building this project is to see how good a rifle a fellow with average skills, a set of headspace gauges and a nut wrench, could cobble up using available parts. If it doesn't shoot, I'll send it off for a bit of tuning as Markharp recommends.

I'll let everyone know how it comes out. The worse part is waiting 16 weeks for the Shilen barrel, but I have waited a lot longer for custom rifles and cowboy hats, and a late foal or two. The cool thing is that expectation has made me feel younger, and that's as good as it gets. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back