Savage magnum bolt head: controlled vs push feed

E

EdP

I'm planning on switching to 7saum for my F-class rifle. I would prefer to just switch entire bolt entire bolt assemblies, rather than just the bolt head. So far, the only place I've found that has a short action right hand magnum bolt is Midway. But, they only stock the controlled feed bolt. Oddly, they stock the push feed in left hand only. My question is this: am I sacrificing any safety or accuracy using the controlled feed bolt? Or, is the push feed the way to go?

Could you take a .308 push feed bolt head (or complete assembly) and open the bolt face for the 7 SAUM? - nhk

With the CRF bolt head you would have no ejection. Not a big deal in F Class. No accuracy difference. Brownells.

PEI Rob: Thanks for the info. From looking at the pictures of the CRF bolt head it looked like there would be a lot of unsupported case head.

The push feed does a better job of centering the bolt on the case head than the CRF. I shoot a push feed Savage switch barrel in .300 Win Mag, 6mmBR, and 6X47 using two bolt heads.

The length of lugs on a short action non mag bolt head is .440" while the short action crf lugs are .500". Long action mag heads are also .500". The new style heavy mag heads are .560" deep. If you switch heads from a short action 308 win to a push feed mag, you will need to shorten the end of the bolt head so the firing pin stops in the correct location since that is different as well. SharpShooterSupply can send you a modified complete push feed bolt head. You haven't mentioned what action you have, long or short.

Back