Savage F class 6.5 x 284?

C

crappie

How tight is the chamber on the savage target barrels???
How well are they shooting?

How tight is the chamber on the savage target barrels???
How well are they shooting?

I really don't know but, a guy I know has one and seems to be pretty happy with it. Next time I see him I'll ask him how it's going.

It ain't F class, but 4" at 1000 ain't bad for an out of the box rifle. Wish it was me!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Matt1.jpg
    Matt1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 5,023
They will either shoot very well and hold 1 MOA or better at 1000 or they will not. I have had 3 of them, 2 of which would not get to max load for 139 Scenars or 142 SMK. Savage replaced both of them, the third lasted for 540 rounds then fell apart.

Have the barell borescoped before you buy one and look for chatter marks from the reamer. The marks will look like railway tracks across the rifling.

Good luck.

... look for chatter marks from the reamer. The marks will look like railway tracks across the rifling...

Our club 12F in 6BR has railway tracks on the lands for the full length of the barrel :eek:. However it shoots reasonably well, but probably not to the high standard of most 6BRs.

Alan

Our club 12F in 6BR has railway tracks on the lands for the full length of the barrel :eek:. However it shoots reasonably well, but probably not to the high standard of most 6BRs.

Alan

Yes the 6 BR and the 308 F/TR and the Bats all have the same problem unfortuneately for Savage.:rolleyes:

.299 neck diam

Just got my new savage barrel 6.5-284 its new from savage but no caliber/cartridge markings and though id share. I measured the neck diameter with inside mic and it is .299. That seems pretty tight for a factory chambering.

They shoot even better with a aftermarket barrel.

Get a Broughton, Kreiger, Bartlein, Lilja, RockCreek, Brux, or Hart barrel. Have it fitted without the nut with a precision ground lug. You want be sorry because they will shoot.

Nat Lambeth

Get a Broughton, Kreiger, Bartlein, Lilja, RockCreek, Brux, or Hart barrel. Have it fitted without the nut with a precision ground lug. You want be sorry because they will shoot.

Nat Lambeth

Ya, I was thinking the same thing but i could not turn down the new barrel for $210. Im thinking of saving for a brux and reamer on custom action. this will give me time to see how well i like the 6.5-284. And at 30" and large shank savage i cal always set it back for my small shank savage when i get the reamer. That is if i dont decide to sell it in the meanwhile and order a brux blank:D.

Just got my new savage barrel 6.5-284 its new from savage but no caliber/cartridge markings and though id share. I measured the neck diameter with inside mic and it is .299. That seems pretty tight for a factory chambering.

crappie

Very interesting. How did you go about getting a new Savage tube with no markings? I was told by Savage a few years ago that was an impossibility.
I had bought a barrel from a small company that swore it was a factory Sav tube with no markings. Savage swears it was not thiers. Just wondering.

I think you will be happy with the Brux on your 6.5 x 284 all of my Brux barrels have performed very well for me and have a couple more on the shelf. I think owning your own reamer makes sense especially if you are shooting F-class in 6.5 x 284 as barrel life is not great, but keep in mind barrels like bullets, powder, and primers are consumables. I find my load development to be quicker with a new barrel from the same manufacture with the same reamer and given the cost of supplies this is a good thing.

wade

They will either shoot very well and hold 1 MOA or better at 1000 or they will not. I have had 3 of them, 2 of which would not get to max load for 139 Scenars or 142 SMK. Savage replaced both of them, the third lasted for 540 rounds then fell apart.

Have the barell borescoped before you buy one and
look for chatter marks from the reamer.
The marks will look like railway tracks across the rifling.

Good luck.

stainless extra-heavy free-floating and button-rifled barrel,

So, what all the P&M about reamer chatter marks? :confused:

D R

No... the guys from the Savage team were *part of* the USA F/TR team (four out of eleven) which did take the gold @ Bisley.

Yes... the rifles shoot, in spite of what the barrels look like at times.

Back