savage barrel nut

lriner

a friend brought a new savage rifle by for me to instal a new scope,noticed the barrel nut had no slots on it.Now I'm no gunsmith but how would you guys get the barrel nut off? Lynn Riner

a friend brought a new savage rifle by for me to instal a new scope,noticed the barrel nut had no slots on it.Now I'm no gunsmith but how would you guys get the barrel nut off? Lynn Riner

Hole in the bottom. You have to have a spanner wrench for it. SSS is now making them. Or use a pipe wrench and put a regular nut on it. Much cheaper than buying the new style wrench.

Luck, Tim

I guess Savage did this just for cosmetics, since some people don't like the nut.

There will eventually come a time that I have the $$$ and the skills to need a gunsmith to put together a really great rifle -- but the lowly Savage action and nut have so far allowed me to learn how to headspace for 6PPC, get experience with neck turning, and a whole host of other issues on a low $ budget.

The smooth nut would eventually be history, on any I owned, as I'd rather have something that one can clearly get a purchase on!

I just wish Savage built all the actions on the same shank size!

smoothbnw.jpg

Back