Savage 12F - Reports?

BTW Bob, can you please explain to me why H-4350 is hard on the throat, i am currious and i do not want to wreck mine by using this powder. Is it the burn rate or low charge wieght in the case.

Thank you ..

I have been shooting one of the new 6br. When I first shot the rifle I shot 14 5 shot groups at 500 yds it agged 2.10 with new brass. I shot it at south dakota state championship 600 ibs it finished 15th light gun out of around 7o lite guns. I also shot a lrpv 22-250 in a f-class savage stock it finished 12th out of 40 heavy guns. The 6br agged 3.9 and the 22-250 agged 3.5 at 600yds . I have no complaints with these Savages. Both guns had groups under 2'' at 600yds. It was windy conditions. Team Savage shooter Jason Hunt:)

Jason,
What grain bullet you useing in the 22-250 ????
Gary Shelton

BTW Bob, can you please explain to me why H-4350 is hard on the throat, i am currious and i do not want to wreck mine by using this powder. Is it the burn rate or low charge wieght in the case.

Thank you ..

Burn rate Jason, sorry for the delay been getting ready for a precision shoot championship.

Hi New to this Forum

I just picked up a 12 F in 6.5 284 and after reading this forum I am wondering if this whole project should be shelved.

Several friends wanted me to just get a custom made F class rifle. I was worried about cost to see if it was something I would even like. hence the 12F purchase.

When it's all said and done are shooters using the Savage 12F happy with the results at 600 and 1000 yards???

Thanks
Ian

My only concern on the Model 12F/TR is the Mickey Mouse wood screw set up to attach the plastic cheekpiece. I haven't attached it yet, as I'm waiting until I get the optics mounted to obtain proper location. Has anyone had any issues with it coming loose? I would think they could have come up with something better on a $1,000.00+ rifle. Bill T.

Good move from corporate standpoint

From a corporate standpoint, they have things dialed in pretty damn good.

Jerry

Yep, I think too Jerry. Real good points!
cale

I agree with you guys; Savage has done their homework with regards to their customer base. There are a whole group of varmint/tactical/regular shooters that want to get into the game without max. cash outlay. Savage has listened to shooters, not the elite, and designed a product line to suit a market somewhere in between factory and semi custom. They are the only manufacturer that offers so many different rates of twist and non-conventional calibers in an off the shelf factory offering.
Chino69

Last edited:
savage-6.5-284

looked at one tonight at gander mt. a little over a grand price wise. if i can sell my 700 police in 6.8spc i may have to add it to collection of toys

Played with the trigger for the past few days and spoke to Savage gunsmiths a few times.

Seems the trigger doesn't work as well a the at 3oz to 70z according to my scale. When I set it to 8oz to 9oz she functions best.

What I am referencing is cycling the Bolt action. If you move the bolt at ultra slow speeds the trigger works at under 6oz without locking up.

If the Bolt action is cycled at a normal speed for BR the action almost seems to be firing the 12f at under 6oz. I spoke with Savage about this and they advised me this was a known condition. Best trigger pull was between 8oz and 9oz according to them.

I didn't know any of these figures when I had the rifle stock off but I also arrived at these setting by testing the action.

Anyone fired the Black Hills Match Ammo 6.5 * 284 ammo from this rifle???

Ian

I shot some of the BH Gold stuff... at $48 a box of 20, it definitely was not worth it. The gun can shoot much better than that stuff does (~1 moa @ 300yds).

Hi New to this Forum

I just picked up a 12 F in 6.5 284 and after reading this forum I am wondering if this whole project should be shelved.

Several friends wanted me to just get a custom made F class rifle. I was worried about cost to see if it was something I would even like. hence the 12F purchase.

When it's all said and done are shooters using the Savage 12F happy with the results at 600 and 1000 yards???

Thanks
Ian

I do very well with my 6.5 at 1000 yards, so yes I am happy.

I would not change the gun even after the problems I had.

Bob.

Thanks Bob

I ordered the NightForce 12* 42 /56 BR scope for it. Hopefully by the time I am back in Florida it should be there.

Ian

I have had my F-12 (6.5x284) for 900 rounds this year. Still very happy with it.

Chip

Savage 12F is featured in Shooting Illustrated Oct 08 issue.

It confirms what most of us have already said.

Ian

I just finished a 2 day mid range event, 300/500 and 500/600, 10 + 2 convertible with a Savage 6BR and a Savage 6.5 x 284. This is my first year in the game and shot a 397/400.

Even manage to beat a few Remington's and took first place on the Sunday and best agg both days.

The 6 BR did let me down at 300 on both relays so I switched to the 6.5, never looked back. 1 relay 50.9.:)

Bob.

Sloping Weaver Base

Having started this thread, and after reading the replies (thanks very much to all contributors), I have decided that a 12F in 6mmBR is the way to go for our club rifle. Question - is there an off-the-shelf Weaver style 20MOA base available for the 12F?

Alan

Many good choices

Question - is there an off-the-shelf Weaver style 20MOA base available for the 12F?

For a one piece base with built in MOA offset, I recommend looking at the Ken Farrel base. They are pretty rugged. A 6BR isn't bad on recoil at all. I just got in a set of Burris XTB steel bases to go with a set of Burris signature zee rings to go on a target action which will be a 6BR/30BR rig. Those are my favorite rings and I have them on 4 rifles. You change the MOA with the inserts. No rings marks whatsoever and no worries about ring alignment or lapping.

Luck, tiny

Alan,

Have you tried looking around?

Basically any base that fits a Savage Accu-Trigger model will fit the 12 F-Open rifle. Farrell (too tall for my taste, but it works), Warne, EGW, Satern, etc. all make bases that work just fine.

Midway stocks most of them.

Back