Salt bath Nitrocarbonizing

Just wanted to update this thread with my experiences with Joel Kendrick. He took plenty of time chatting with me on the phone and then gave suggestions on how to prep my bbl after it got treated. Needless to say, I'm quite pleased with the results and the service from Joel and I'll be sending him another batch of about 6 barrels very soon.

A little report:

I had a barrel processed along with a bolt that needed to be slicked up. The barrel looks "marvelous" on the rifle as does the bolt in the rifle it is in.

I have fired a few shots through the barrel. To find my accuracy I had to go up by .05g of powder. I think this sez that the speed changed, eh. I haven't had time yet to actually "Tune" the rifle properly but it look like it is gonna work.

If I get 8K out of this barrel, it will out last me. How can that be a bad thing?

Butch - The barrel(s) in question are Lothar-Walther group B match program barrels. I've heard that they are in the 420 series and 17-4 but have not been able to reliably confirm the information and L-W hasn't exactly been forthcoming with the information which they apparently hold as proprietary.

And for everyone who wishes to second guess my choice of barrels, in 6.5 X 284 they (three barrels so far) have been simply outstanding in HV contour. Love the 6.5 X 284 but have to order more than one barrel at a time to always have a chambered up spare on hand.

Not that it matters this year, my work schedule having limited my match attendance to a big fat zero.

Another question on suitable steels for the nitro-carburizing process, would it be appropriate for 4340 and 4140 as in a Surgeon single shot action?

Rust,
You would need to know for sure. The 400 series of stainless will work as well as the CM mentioned. I'm pretty sure the LW50 steel that Lothar Walther has is 17-4 or there about. Joel said no to that. I would contact Joel direct.
Butch

I know of a company in Salt Lake City getting LW barrels treated in large quantities. No problems yet in .243, .308, .300WM, or .338LM.

Rust,
You would need to know for sure. The 400 series of stainless will work as well as the CM mentioned. I'm pretty sure the LW50 steel that Lothar Walther has is 17-4 or there about. Joel said no to that. I would contact Joel direct.
Butch[/QUO
Do you know of anyone in Canada that does the same procees? There is to much paper work involved to send the barrels to joel.
Thanks
elmer

Back