Salt bath Nitrocarbonizing

Pete Wass

I read in the latest PS in an article about the Salt bath Nitrocarbonizing Joe Kendrick is doing. Anybody here had any experience with any of the barrels he has done or others have done?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,
I've had 3 barrels done by Joel. I have a Kreiger that shot lights out for 5000 rounds in a ppc. Sent it to a forum member here that wanted to check it out in the gunsmithing school. Said he never got it. Go Figure.
Butch

The process sounds interesting

and well worth doing. I have a barrel I would like to send. Just got it broken in and it shoots pretty well. It wasn't clear to me; will the process work with Stainless?

Pete,
Make sure you get it extremely clean get all copper and carbon fouling out of it before having it done. I have had a bunch of my hunting guns done with it and a .338 Lapua and it works great. Joel will have a display in our booth at the Shot Show next week.

Paul Tolvstad
Rock Creek Barrels

Thanks Paul

Pete,
Make sure you get it extremely clean get all copper and carbon fouling out of it before having it done. I have had a bunch of my hunting guns done with it and a .338 Lapua and it works great. Joel will have a display in our booth at the Shot Show next week.

Paul Tolvstad
Rock Creek Barrels

Thanks for the advice. Happy New Year!

Pete

The last time I talked to John Whidden I think he mentioned having some barrels treated like that.
Mark

I've had a couple of mine and several for customers done. I have been very pleased. Not enough rounds down them to comment on life, but they sure do clean easier than before. It's worth the price of admission just for the cleaning in my book.

Bolt Falling Off?

How is the bolt handle on a SS Model 70 Classic attached?

I would like to have it Salt Bath Nitrocarbonized.

My concern is, will the bolt handle come off at the high temperatures required for this process?

Thanks

Last edited:
Salt Bath Nitriding

John S
We QP process the bolt bodies below the melting point of the high temp. silver solder processed below 1000 deg F.
I will be happy to answer any other questions that anyone may have, contact me by e-mail joelkndrck@aol.com or give me a call cell # 704-616-6442.
We will be have an assortment of processed firearms samples on display at the Shot Show 2010 in Las Vegas booth #20054

Joel Kendrick
AKA Quartersnatcher

Silver solder aside, what about heat treat, have any tests been done, before and after, on bolts and/or action bodies?

It was my understanding that............

Post-'64 Model 70 handles were impact-forced over splines on the body after a thin copper washer had been placed, then a plasma current induced, to finalize the bond. Am I mistaken in this?? :confused:

Good; I'm not the only one waiting for a response ;)

I'm guessing the vendor will be the best source for pricing info unless someone feels like coming forward with how much they paid for such-n-such job. Any takers?

Joel At the Shot Show

I spoke to Joel at the Shot Show.

There is only one location they do rifle bolts and keep the temp's not higher than 900 degrees.

Salt Bath Nitridiing (Isonite QPQ )

Sorry guys I have been at the Shot Show without my computer not able to answer e-mails. The pricing is based on quantity or lot size. Send me an e-mail and explain what you would like to have processed or give me a call and we can discuss.
Thanks,
Joel Kendrick
e-mail - joelkndrck@aol.com
cell 704-616-6442

Salt Bath Nitriding (Isonite QPQ)

milanuk,
Sorry I have not received your e-mail, I am the firearms representive for the vendor MMI-Trutec.

Thanks,
Joel Kendrick
Application Engineer
MMI-Trutec
cell- 704-616-6442

Back