Sako 6ppc V133 question..

I think there may have been a misunderstanding in a couple of posts regarding value, cost etc. Frequently on the board we get folks who have something and don't have a clue what it's worth. The OP had only 13 posts when this thread was started. Early on, I thought it was possible he didn't know what he had. This rifle is much sought after by shooters who wish to compete in Factory Class. Once the barrel is worn out you can't have it rebarreled and retain the Factory Classification. Obviously, the OP knows what he has and wants to use it as it was intended. That's great. I share his POV and I'm sure he will get a lot of enjoyment from it. I don't have safe queens and have owned a number of Cooper's that a lot of folks would have felt were too "pretty" to take to a dog town. There is no need to get into a debate about value. Most of us understand that concept.

Rick

If you are worried about value

1. sell it to a collector who will look at it on the wall
2. Put a new aftermarket barrel on it and shoot the heck out of it, retaining the original barrel it you decide to sell it down the road.
3. Shoot it as is, and just don't worry about a thing.

A barrel is a consumable in the shooting game. The real value, IMO, is in the finely made action, trigger, bedding and stock. I have a L461 Vixen in 6PPC, bought used. The barrel has some light fire cracking ahead of the chamber. Still shoots well. I put about 100 rounds through it a year. Should last 20 years, not sure I will. Have fun with yours, one way or another. Nothing wrong with deciding to make a great rifle a safe queen imo.

Last edited:
Thank you all...

Thanks for all the comments on the rifle, especially the ones pertaining to the starting loads to work with...As I get it broke in, I will be sure to show some pics of its accuracy.

you might check your twist My single shot was great when it was warm but when it got cold 1-2" groups started showing up. I was really confused until an old timer clued me in on the problem. My twist was more like 1x15.25". It would shoot .1" most days with bergers and v133.

Update...

After doing some barrel break in and cleaning, I finally have shot my first group at 100 yds...measured .379" . 65 grain Vmax and N-133, 26 grs for now. .010 from jam fit, no signs of pressure. Looks to be a shooter for sure....more updates and pics to come.

Thank you all for your advice.

I would

second what Tim said and would suggest you try 28-28.5 H322 also. Shoots very well in my Sako L461 Vixen 6 PPC.

Those are fine shooting and very fine looking rifles. Anyone know what twist rate and who made the barrels for sako on these rifles??:confused: WD

My Vixen

Those are fine shooting and very fine looking rifles. Anyone know what twist rate and who made the barrels for sako on these rifles??:confused: WD

has a heavy taper 1-14" twist barrel. I believe Sako made them but not 100% on that component.

Pics..

Image 4781 is of the Sako 6ppc group. Not bad for cleaning between each shot. Got 5 rounds down the tube, will start shooting some 3 and 5 shot groups then cleaning for 5-10 groups and see how the barrel is cleaning up.

Image 4615 is of my Tikka T3 Super Varmint in 22-250...needless to say its already where I need it.

Attachments

• IMG_4781.JPG
    IMG_4781.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 436
  • IMG_4615.JPG
    IMG_4615.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 308
Back