Sako 22PPC and 6PPC Questions

What do those rifles sell for new? You have the shipping cost, plus what ever a licenced dealer will charge for handling. My choice whold be the 6MM, but keep in mind these are varmint rifles. These rifles in these calibers may be hard to find, but I would not call them rare.

What do those rifles sell for new? You have the shipping cost, plus what ever a licenced dealer will charge for handling. My choice whold be the 6MM, but keep in mind these are varmint rifles. These rifles in these calibers may be hard to find, but I would not call them rare.

Sako doesn't chamber any rifle in these two calibers currently. My feeling is that his buy it now price is 200-300 dollars too high, his opening price is 100-200 too high, but it don't hurt to ask I guess. . --Greg

Last edited:
cznut,
I have the 6PPC model, it is stamped Sako 6PPC A 729. I bought mine way back in the 80's when Sako was producing these fine rifles. I paid over $600.00 for mine back then, so I'm not sure what the rate of inflation would do to the price of these guns in todays world. I will tell you this, these guns are the most accurate production guns ever made, period. Mine will still shoot in the 3's consistently and it has shot in the 2's many times. These are top quality factory made guns, not like the junk you see being produced today. I have a Cooper and if I were to compare my Sako to any gun other then a full blown customized rifle it would be a Cooper and we all know what a Cooper costs. For me I consider my Sako 6PPC a treasure that I would never sell.
Dave T

cznut, For me I consider my Sako 6PPC a treasure that I would never sell. Dave T

Definitely +1, I will never sell mine, shoots as above and from the same era, with a S/N of 091, supposedly from the first batch of 100 to come over.

dwd

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont keep up with selling prices', or calibers these days'. What chambering does Sako offer these days. The Sako is a fine rifle, and my son still has my heavy barrel forester. Both rifles have to be at top dollar, and they have been shot very little. How much is very little? Is the Sako bolt cut for only the PPC case? I like the look's of both rifles, but for that kind of money, I won't to see them first hand.

Well I think those are decent prices for fine examples of the genre. We'll see what they go for in the end.

The number deeply stamped into the receiver is the serial number, three digits. As far as "not rare?" What constitutes rare? The astute will notice that there's not room for many more numbers..... in other words these were always very low production. I've seen 9 of them, heard of several more, all were three digit numbers or lower. The serial numbers are so low that most of us think it's a Model number! Of the 6 I've actually had personal feedback on, one was my own, they all shoot extremely well. I too have Coopers, IMO they don't compare.

They're built with a very light, almost delicate action and bolt, with a heavy barrel. I found 3250 w/68gr to be the velocity range for the 6PPC.

al

Last edited:
I have one of the 22 PPC's that I've owned for over 20 years. It's a great single-shot action and also fun for shooting prairie dogs. Just remember that these are PPC-USA chambered, not the more typical PPC. The factory stock does have a little bit of beavertail contour to the forearm, but is nothing like a good BR stock. I'd have to be pretty destitute to ever part with mine.

Don

For that kind of money you can get a Cooper Varmint Extreme in the chambering of your choice. Those Sako rifles have chambers for the old USA brass which is no good compared to the current Lapua offerings. Just my two cents........

It's unfortunate that you can't negotiate with seller on auction type classifieds. Having said that I don't believe the sellers price is out of line so long as you are buying them to proudly own them. In other words not solely as an investment. This is based on three years of hem and hawing over the purchase of one of these type rifles. Jmo

It's unfortunate that you can't negotiate with seller on auction type classifieds. Having said that I don't believe the sellers price is out of line so long as you are buying them to proudly own them. In other words not solely as an investment. This is based on three years of hem and hawing over the purchase of one of these type rifles. Jmo

The one area that is always a wildcard with used guns that have been shot is the barrel wear. Looking down a cleaned and oiled barrel always seems to look "barrel mint". But until you put a bore scope down the tube and look at, particularly, the first few inches in front of the chamber for fire cracking you never know how much its been shot or its condition. Been there. jmho. --greg

When I say they "don't compare" to a Cooper I mean they shoot BETTER than Coopers. Incomparably better.

I was unclear, my bad.

al

I bought a new Sako Model S491 in 6ppc about 12 years ago. It shot very well with H322 and 68 gr. bullets. Groups were in the 3's most of the time. I thought this would be my entry class BR gun. Went to benchrest school at Canastota and got a rude awakening. Was advised not to shoot it, because it could not compete with custom guns. Eventually I bought a used Hall action 6ppc, and quickly retired the Sako. Well, sort of - I took it out only for live groundhogs. Yes, they are very accurate, but not good enough for competition. I was asking $800 for mine, but re-thinking that figure now.

Last edited:
I currently have two of Sako models you talk about, I have a A1 in 22PPC and a S491 in 6PPC.
They are what everyone has said here,one of if not the best production rifle that was made.
They are very accurate as stated, the only problem I have is with the 22PPC, the throat is very long and most bullets do not have much grip.
Both guns are single shot varmint/target models,in mint condiction.
I plan to sell both and have a BR rifle built.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure of the time period, these rifles were made during a period of two complete years and part of a third year. The first year was AXXX the second was BXXX and the third year was CXXX. They were offered in
.222-.223-17 rem.-22ppc and 6ppc. I don't know for sure but I would guess one of them in .222 would be worth a fair amount. As an after thought the actions were identical to the earlier vixen models accept they had a more streamlined bolt shroud and a longer bolt handle.

I bought a shotgun from the gunbroker seller a few weeks ago. I was concerned with the lack of ratings for a new seller but the shotgun was sent timely and was exactly as described. I wouldn't hesitate to bid on their guns again.

I bought one of these guns last year in 6 PPC, Varmint target. I had it bedded and loaded up some rounds to see how it shot. The rifle was shooting in the 2s right away with some barts ultras and v-133. I then started getting serious. I loaded some of the new norma 6PPC brass with stout benchrest loads I used to shoot in my BR guns and set up some flags. I got several 1s and an .047. These guns shoot better than any factory rifle I've ever heard of including Coopers(I've owned 4) but the asking price is starting to get ridiculous. The 22 PPC Sako is a good bit more rare than the 6PPCs. If you can get the price down a little and buy both. I don't think you will loose money in the long run.

Back