Ruger VTT in .223

OldSwede

Buddy has a Ruger 77 VTT (grey barrel, brown laminate) Varmint rifle in .223 Remington. What used to seem to be a very accurate rifle doesn't anymore - maybe his 40X in .243 has something to do with it.....

Anyway, he likes the rifle overall but would like to shoot heavier bullets at longer - range targets. My recommendations are to have a good 'smith rebarrel with a 1/7 or 1/8 twist quality barrel and have it bedded. Any recommendations as to "smith ( we are in Western MIchigan), barrel or twist (assuming you don't have a better idea overall)?

Well, it's hard to recommend a smith if you aren't from the Michigan area. I'll give a recommendation though. Since he has a .243, why not use it with heavier bullets which it will sling better anyway and use the .223 for short work. BTW, I have the same Ruger in 22-250 I bought the first year they came out and it never shot good till I bedded it so just a good bedding job may wake up that 223. Just my .02 worth.....

Try seating the bullets farther out, i.e., closer to the rifling, to see what that does for the accuracy. If the accuracy still isn't what it should be a new barrel is likely in order.

If this is a varmint rifle, I don't think that a faster twist barrel and heavier bullets would be the thing to do with a .223. If he's going to do longer range target shooting with it, then a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 will allow him to shoot the longer heavier bullets to get out to 600 yards or more. Those heavy (68 + gr) match bullets likely wouldn't expand at long range when started at .223 velocities, and except for maybe the Hornady 75 gr A-Max may act like full metal jackets. That can lead to ricochets which isn't a good way to win friends.

Like Yote mentioned it might be better to use the .243 with heavier bullets for long range varmints. His .243 barrel will be gone in 1500-1800 rounds though.

It's also not likely that you'll find too many benchrest gunsmiths who are willing to work on Ruger 77's of any vintage. They can be very sensitive to bedding and screw tightness or lack thereof amongst other things.

If you don't hane anyone locally send the action to PACNOR and have them barrel and true it. A 1in8 twist works well for alot of bullets upto and especially the 80gr bthp or vld. I don't know what range you have in mind for it but 80gr's preform well to 600yrds ( but you better be good with wind). A 1in7 wouls allow for the 90gr bthp and vld but I am told it may not preform well with some bullets.
I bed rifles myself and if you can't find someone locally there are good instructions on doing this available.Bedding is another hot issue as it can be done a number of ways and with a number of materials, all can give good results I am told, but I do have my preferances.
You may want to try rebedding the barrel and working up incramental loads from scratch. I don't know the round count or throat state but I have seen barrels "stop shooting" one load or bullet and be fine with another.

Swede

Before you lay out more than the rifles worth try some heavier 22 bullets. Try 55 grn bullets. I like the Sierra 55 grn spitz bt and the Sierra 55 grn sp blitz. Other makes of 55 grn bullets especially Berger will work fine. For powder I would pick 2 and work em good. Two good for .223 are 748 and H322. Also 4895 and 4198 will work well also.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Back