Ruger number one

C

Chet

I friend of mine at work gave me his Ruger #1 220 Swift, he says the trigger is hard, I was reading that some of the older #1's the triggers can be adjusted, he says his rifle is about 20yrs old, how can I tell if the trigger on this rifle is adjustable.

Chet

On yahoo there is a ruger #1 collectors group. There is a larg amount of knowlage there. A search of the files and archives will tell you what you want to know I'm sure. There are also several aftermarket triggers. EA Brown sells some. Brownells.

#577-100-00AB SS No 1 Trigger Moyes Ruger # 1 Adlustable Trigger kit. Page #112. Catalog #61 Brownells.

Moyer

I put a Moyer trigger on my #1. Breaks clean at just under 3 pounds. Big improvement over the factory unit.

I would say if you're a little compatent you can do a lot with the factory trigger. I have an early #1 and polished and cleaned up everything and eliminated creep and cut pull by a lot. About an hour's work.

The answer to your original question...

is that there is no external indication as to whether the trigger is fully adjustable or not.
If you remove the buttstock, it will immediately be seen whether or not there is a sear engagement screw on the trigger mechanism (if so, it's the early design, and can be adjusted to limit sear contact - if not, it's the later type, and, while it can be improved some, the best fix is one of the after-market replacement triggers).
mhb - Mike

Back