Rotating barrels:

Pete Wass

I got to thinking today about the scouring our barrels take on the bottom of the bore from the primer resedue. I then wondered if we were to rotate them a quarter of a turn after a pre-determined number of shots they might last longer?

Pete

proper and timely cleaning

Pete

Proper and timely cleaning makes a huge difference.and should negate the need to rotate.

If you ensure that the barrel is squeaky clean after each and every session. Primer residue doesn't get a chance to build up, or cause problems as some might suggest.

However more barrels are trashed due to incorrect cleaning methods and cleaning products that from excessive shooting. IMO

Wouldn't a good consistent cleaning with something like Iosso stop that?

It sure does. You just need to take care with how you do t and with what.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hambone,

Would you please share with us your cleaning method, and the products that you use ?

Thanks,
Dick

Pete

Proper and timely cleaning makes a huge difference.and should negate the need to rotate.

If you ensure that the barrel is squeaky clean after each and every session. Primer residue doesn't get a chance to build up, or cause problems as some might suggest.

However more barrels are trashed due to incorrect cleaning methods and cleaning products that from excessive shooting. IMO

It sure does. You just need to take care with how you do t and with what.

Do a search, this has been widely discussed here and elsewhere, its not a cleaning issue its a primer compound damage/pitting issue. I don't think anybody knows at what precise point performance falls off.

Hi Dick

I never just dry patch. Can't see the point. I use a nylon brush and a wet patch followed by a dry patch after shooting a card. Brush cleans out the loose stuff, wet patch sorts out the crud that the bruch misses or needed a helping hand. I think dry patching after shooting a card is like sweeping the bore with a scotbrite pad. Oh yeah and I always use a good bore guide and the best rods I can buy.

I have some cleaning solution which a buddy, who works as a chemist in the petrol chemical industry, makes up. I keep it in a nozzled dispensing bottle for those after card cleans. He was using it for cleaning his c/f BR rifles and was getting great results with his .22BR rifles too. I have no idea what's in it but when I get low he drops off a quart bottle. It smells like none of the other commercially available cleaning products. I just don't ever leave it in the bore.

When its time to clean and put the rifle away for storage it gets a though seeing to with Hoppes or Butches Bore Shine depending on what I have on hnad.

Back