RiverBend Gun Club March Madness

crb

Ray Brooks
Splish splash we wuz takin a bath.......... Your faithful scribe Scott will be along shortly to tell you all about it.

March200920Results1.jpg

well then

I apparently do better at 200 than 100. I have come to the conclusion, at this rate I would AGG .2536 @ 600 yards. I will accept contributions to my new cartridge design at www.nickbauerispoor.com to prove me wrong. J/K :p

I was just happy to be on paper today. :D

Attachments

• 6x42 BAUER.pdf
    179.8 KB · Views: 182
Here is the report http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60018

Nick - Don't look at your 100 yard agg vs your 200 yard agg. Look at your targets and you will find 4 or 5 individual shots that sealed your fate. (Of course using that same math my 600 yard agg would be in the teens:))

I had a huge lead after the first half. But my next 4 targets were all 4 +1's
Why - probably lack of practice and lack of concentration. The final target i shot really well - but i changed my focus - slowed down a little - and made a conscious effort to shoot a really good group. In other words - i quit trying to shoot as fast and see slight movement in the flags. Instead, since I haven't shot much over the last few months, i switched to concentrating on --
notice the flags, slow down and make 5 good shots using good technique.

To his credit - Dave Rabin was doing that for the last five targets not just one.

Last edited:
I thought your weather was a poor welcome for the Floridians like myself. It is obvious that we can't concentrate in a gray day with 38 degree hard rain. I should have been given a handicap! :D

Nick ...I like the 6x42Bauer, but the crux to any wildcat cartridge is where can you get any good brass? Small primer pockets please?

It would make a great deer cartridge if blown out to 30 cal. Kinda a short 300 Savage.

Thanks, Scott.

My design is based off the old 7x42 cartridge that can be formed from .284 brass which Lapua makes. I believe Lapua's 6.5-284 brass would make the best parent cartridge. My intention was to have a case capacity somewhere between a 6BR and a 6x47 Lapua. I was actually thinking of making a deer rifle out of it before taking the plunge into a 600yrd rig.

I have one

Thanks, Scott.

My design is based off the old 7x42 cartridge that can be formed from .284 brass which Lapua makes. I believe Lapua's 6.5-284 brass would make the best parent cartridge. My intention was to have a case capacity somewhere between a 6BR and a 6x47 Lapua. I was actually thinking of making a deer rifle out of it before taking the plunge into a 600yrd rig.

I have been shooting for a couple of years and it is a very good chambering. It has been my best rifle this year out of the 4 I have been working with. The finished case is 1.650" and is the minimum HBR capacity plus a bit. I use Winchester cases and they are very good. I have not lost one primer pocket in the several hundred cases I have made up for it. I use a forming die I bought from Niel Jones which requires about 8 steps to make the cases. There is someone else who makes a less expensive forming die, by hundreds of dollars as I recallhowever, my die becomes a Full Length die with the proper sized neck bushing in it.

Last edited:
Back