Rimfire F-Class matches

One of the issues

A 100 yd event in .22 would not be all that interesting, 200 yds is a whole lot more fun. If someone was to make up an event for anything over 200 yds I would be thrilled. It would be the ultimate in rimfire shooting. Maybe any shooting.

FWIW, I sat down and computed some approximate wind drifting for .22s to try to match that for shooting .45 calibers at 1000 yd creedmore events. BPTR style competition. The idea being to find an distance where the effect of wind on a .22 bullet (expressed in MOA) would approximate that of .45 caliber bullets in the 525-550 grs range used by long range muzzleloaders and bp cartridge rifles over 1000 competitions. That distance turned out to be about 237 yds. So, one might consider a .22 Creedmoor competition that would be in the vicinity of this distance. There is a .22 Creedmoor competition already in operation. It used more traditional rifles (late 19th century singleshots), but I do not know how formalized it is. If you want to do the same with tricked out benchrest type rifles, it would still be fun, but I'd not feel limited in competing against them with a well built falling block.
Brent

With longer range rimfire is that most scopes don't have the adjustment range to get on even at 200 yds without signature rings or tapered rear base. I can just do it with a unertl! but can't with a STS. From 100 to200 yards std velocity ammo will drop about 44-46 inches! 300 yd rimfire would be a challenge in wind doping and getting on paper.

F-Class Rimfire

Thought for the longest time that this would be interesting. A local league competes on ISSF targets scaled for various distances out to 600yd.
I have shot with them out to 200m with RF. The 10 ring @ 100m is about .85" and the inner 10 or x-ring is about .375". The target is a tough one to clean consistently. When conditions get atmospheric things get interesting , although I've embarassed more than one CF shooter.

Last edited:
wind

I like to shoot .22's at 200 yards and have been playing at it for some time. This game is all about the wind. How can a postal match work when wind conditions will vary tremendously from range to range? A range laid out in the open with consistent 1 direction winds will have a big advantage over a range laid out were terrain dictates multiple direction inconsistent winds.

Back