Rimfire BR barrel maintenance.

zanemoseley

So just got a used custom Anschutz 1913 with a cone breached Shilen barrel. From my 3P days I remember some varying opinions of how often to clean a barrel or if you should clean it at all. I also shoot NRA bullseye and have some nice 22 match pistols, in those I tend to clean the chamber regularly with a 90 degree 28/30 cal brush.

So what so you guys do? Chamber only? No cleaning at all?

Also if you're testing different ammo do you require fouling shots when changing ammo types?

Search function is your friend.
One tip, take that 28/30 brush and bury it in the backyard.

If there is a match near you attend it and observe what the shooters do. Most clean between cards with solvent and patches. After 100 to 150 rounds or less have been fired most brush the barrel with a bronze brush. I brush my barrel after every match as I have learned that my rifle will not shoot dirty. However, each barrel is different and trial and error will tell you what your particular barrel likes. A bore scope would eliminate all the guess work. Have fun and good luck. Oh, you probably already know this but don't dry fiire on that cone breach.

Last edited:
Last question in your post, fouling shots after cleaning. Yes, Yes, Yes! Watch your shots in your scope when fouling. As posted, most barrels are different, but not by much. I use left over testing ammo that didn't make the grade, but it will still tell you when the barrel comes 'back in'.

Tip, if shooting Lapua, in my experience the fouling will be longer due to the lube they use. To shorten this time/round count, I foul with Eley, even if Lapua is my match ammo, or when testing. After the barrel is printing POI that says it's 'back in', only a couple of shots with Lapua are needed to establish correct POI with Lapua.

As to cleaning, the search function and the advise to attend a match to see others clean is sound. As cleaning threads get somewhat contentious, I will only offer one other piece of advise. If you have not discovered Bore Tech C4 carbon remover, please try it. I know quite a few sanctioned shooters using it and when I tried it I know why. I do clean every card when match shooting, or the same amount of round count when testing.

Edit: I do bore scope, but not after every match.

Thanks

Last question in your post, fouling shots after cleaning. Yes, Yes, Yes! Watch your shots in your scope when fouling. As posted, most barrels are different, but not by much. I use left over testing ammo that didn't make the grade, but it will still tell you when the barrel comes 'back in'.

Tip, if shooting Lapua, in my experience the fouling will be longer due to the lube they use. To shorten this time/round count, I foul with Eley, even if Lapua is my match ammo, or when testing. After the barrel is printing POI that says it's 'back in', only a couple of shots with Lapua are needed to establish correct POI with Lapua.

As to cleaning, the search function and the advise to attend a match to see others clean is sound. As cleaning threads get somewhat contentious, I will only offer one other piece of advise. If you have not discovered Bore Tech C4 carbon remover, please try it. I know quite a few sanctioned shooters using it and when I tried it I know why. I do clean every card when match shooting, or the same amount of round count when testing.

Edit: I do bore scope, but not after every match.

I too have found that Carbon cleaner is an answer. I am using a different brand but it is quite amazing. The one I am using works on both RF and CF.

Thanks again for sharing.

Pete

I might be wrong but I suspect Scott is using it primarily for cleaning the throat, and FWIW there ain't anything as effective for carbon in the throat as well as carbon ring in CF as C4.

Last edited:
Tim and Pete,
You'er both correct, and I will confess that Tim turned me on to C4 on another board. Since he shared that information I have found out a bunch of guys were using it that I shoot RFBR with.

I use the C4 on my .223 coyote rifle, my rimfires, and my S&W 627-5 PC revolver. Has cut my cleaning time in half, especially on the revolver. Thanks Tim!

For those new to the sport, carbon shows on the patch as a medium to light brown color.

Scott

Tim and Pete,
You'er both correct, and I will confess that Tim turned me on to C4 on another board. Since he shared that information I have found out a bunch of guys were using it that I shoot RFBR with.

I use the C4 on my .223 coyote rifle, my rimfires, and my S&W 627-5 PC revolver. Has cut my cleaning time in half, especially on the revolver. Thanks Tim!

For those new to the sport, carbon shows on the patch as a medium to light brown color.

Scott

You're welcome.
I found it mostly with the CF guys I shoot with, there is no harder carbon than that carbon ring in a 6PPC right at chamber end from running @about 61000 psi. In RF although the fouling is carbon/lead it would seem most lead is stuck to the carbon.
All I know is the stuff works with zero scrubbing/brushing of the throat .

You're welcome.
I found it mostly with the CF guys I shoot with, there is no harder carbon than that carbon ring in a 6PPC right at chamber end from running @about 61000 psi. In RF although the fouling is carbon/lead it would seem most lead is stuck to the carbon.
All I know is the stuff works with zero scrubbing/brushing of the throat .

Sir,

How long are letting it soak?

Thanks,

George

Sir,

How long are letting it soak?

Thanks,

George

George,
Use a short rod with a loop jag with patch.
Soak it up and stick it in the throat and let it sit a good 15 min. Patch out, throat should be clean right down to bare metal.

Last edited:
George,
Use a short rod with a loop jag with patch.
Soak it up and stick it in the throat and let it sit a good 15 min. Patch out, throat should be clean right down to bare metal.

Hi Tim,

As you may know, I've been using the Bore Tech C4 since it was first developed. If the C/L ring is not too severe, you can use the proper jag and patch size "without" waiting for 15 minutes to soften the C/L ring and simply bump the patch against the rifling 40 times to completely eradicate it. While that may seem to be a lot of short stroking, it only takes seconds to do it and it's an effortless process that saves 14 of the 15 minutes.

It's one of the few cleaning products that seems to be effective, without being over hyped as a cure for everything. That doesn't happen very often! LOL

Landy

Agree with the above. I do short stroke the leade area every time I clean now with C4 after I run 2 wet patches to make sure the glass like primer debris are free from the bore.

Tim/Landy,

I ordered some today. Been using a combo of rimfire blend and kroil which is good, but this stuff sounds really good. Can’t wait to try it out...

Thanks again!

George

Tim/Landy,

I ordered some today. Been using a combo of rimfire blend and kroil which is good, but this stuff sounds really good. Can’t wait to try it out...

Thanks again!

George

Remember, the solvent is what you want in the bore....with a brush and good guide, C4 only in the throat.

Hi Tim,

As you may know, I've been using the Bore Tech C4 since it was first developed. If the C/L ring is not too severe, you can use the proper jag and patch size "without" waiting for 15 minutes to soften the C/L ring and simply bump the patch against the rifling 40 times to completely eradicate it. While that may seem to be a lot of short stroking, it only takes seconds to do it and it's an effortless process that saves 14 of the 15 minutes.

It's one of the few cleaning products that seems to be effective, without being over hyped as a cure for everything. That doesn't happen very often! LOL

Landy

Landy,
Good to know. I have been fairly lucky with my chambers, once they get seasoned a bit I only really need it after a six card match or so.
Hopefully we can stick our head out the door soon, I got ammo and a couple barrels to test.

Stay healthy,
Tim

The C4 does indeed work, been using it since it became available, cleaning confirmed with a bore scope in my rim fire rifle, I clean the entire bore with it and haven't had a brush in mine in a good while. The "L" shaped brushes used in the chamber are a no-no, especially an over sized one, I would never use one in a rifle of mine.

I'll get some C4 and hold off on using a brush, that doesn't surprise me, most precision rifle guys look at brushes like like the devil.

What types of jags and accessories do you guys like? I've already got a nice 1 piece fiberglass rod. Currently I've just got a cheapo patch jag and have the VFG cleaning pellet system.

Yes really, precision pistols shooters still use brushes with no stigma attached, if you mention brushes in the company of precision rifle shooters most act like you're ruining your barrel. That's why I asked so I'm following the best recommended practices. In my F class barrel I've had decent results with foaming bore cleaner and no brushes.

Back