Rimfire Action Lock Times

The way I understand the priming compound in the case (which I could be entirely wrong) is that the igniting of the compound is largely friction based during the crushing of the rim. I can see the matchstrike comparison having merit, but I do think there has to be a balance with impact though due to vibrations generated from the firing pin strike.

Or maybe I'm assuming too much?

Bob, one important point you seemed to make was that yours was "modified". I'm assuming this was done to gain a material performance/ consistancy level. Could you give a sense as to how significant a gain you had ?

Doodaddy and Tim,

Doodaddy and Tim,
The priming compound “ignites” because of crystals being sheared. As a kid did you ever bite down on Wintergreen Life Savers in the dark and look at the green glow? Or feel the “shock” of biting down on sugar crystals in a cake icing (caramel)? The mechanical energy of the moving firing pin causes the priming compound to ignite when the crystals are “broken”, so the best ignition is the one that does not put extra vibration into the gun.

My Hall has the same firing pin spring from Day 1 (ten years?). I tried brass weights, but the key was polishing the inside of the bolt. That works on Anschutz and Shuls too; - consistency is always first, friction kills consistency faster than anything does.
Now figure out how I got it polished inside – it will help any ignition system.
Bob Collins

Thanks, yes I'm aware of priming and polishing, done more than a couple Halls over the years.
I have a followup since ypu brought it up.
I sent this in to ELEY on the recent webcast, but alas, no information.
What's your take on the priming compound? There's a change not really being discussed much. It seems to be something with the physical properties of the silica in the priming. Wether it is good or bad could be an interesting conversat
Everybody knows that just a couple years back, it seemed to be more and/or larger particles. Everybody was talking aboutit and the resultant deposits in the bottom of the bore and pitting. What happened? It changed, you can feel it....or not.
There was some exceptional ammo, with lots of worry about barrel longevity.
Did we get a change that helped reduce that crystaline pitting at the expense of performance?

In spite of all the bad press

I have yet to see a ""Cheap" Hall offered up for sale.

On another note, Alan Hall offers a pin conversion for Turbos. Bill Schertz had both his Turbos done and they have shot pretty well this year. Just sayin - -

Pete

Tim - Look for the Dollar

My last understand was that the “silica” being used is ground up glass. We know what that will do to any metal where friction is involved – wear it out. I would think – or hope that the formula has evolved as to hold the primer compound inside the rim after firing.
Never dry fire old brass unless it cleaned and a little oil added inside the rim to “hold the particles” inside the brass. And! clean before another shot is fired. I like cleaning with a brush first, spray off the brush with break cleaner, then finish cleaning the bore.
Your last question is answered with this - $. What is more profitable?
Bob Collins

Well, without knowing, I would assume a silica change is unlikely to be a major financial change.
I understand it is needed for combustion friction, my "guess" is it was reduced to the point where it s largely consumed durring combustion, helping barrel life. Something, however, has changed, I suspect the nature of combustion has perhaps as well.

Not Logical

Silica or sand would not be burned up during combustion. Powder change is more logical.
I know they are working on tightening the reloading ogive length, so I hope accuracy will improve and our cost would go down. Testing and wasting bullets looking for a good Lot.
Bob Collins

Someone asked the eley tech guy and he answered that nothing has changed in eleys priming compound, nothing I would suspect means nothing. The last several I have broken apart don't seem to have anything different the priming compound is the same pinkish color and looks to be the same texture. The grit I get on my first patch when cleaning seems to be the same so in my own experience I really don't think anything has changed. I guess it is possible that Eley is using the same components in the mixture but the sand they are getting is smaller particulate? But that stuff is screened to the size and if the size was changed it would have to be something the tech guy would know because it would have to be ordered as a different sized silica, I take the Eley tech at his word and nothing has changed.
MC

The hard granular deposit left @ 6 o'clock in the bore from older stuff is largely gone, you can feel it. Shoot older stuff and the newest. Barrels are not getting the kind of pitting. Something is different.

Hall tricks

Doodaddy,
There is a lot of discussion on firing pins, weight, spring location, and lock time. The one thing to understand is the chemical nature of primer compounds and how they work. I explained this years ago to several action builders. Rim Fire primer works like striking a match on the side of the matchbox. I know you seen fellows who could strike a match with one hand holding the box in that hand and make it look simple. Too slow and it will never ignite too fast can cause problems too – like breaking the matchstick. What we want is consistency; we have to have the same motion each and every time for that consistency. The main reason I like my Hall is the ease of cleaning the firing pin inside the bolt. No disassembling and nowhere of the powder and primer residue to cake up and “change the lock time” which changes ignition, which changes the gun tune, which makes those little bullets go everywhere you don’t want them to go.
There are good gunsmiths that can get the most out of any action; mine has all of the “tricks” done to it we could figure out, several Allen Hall doesn’t know about and several he says doesn’t matter, but it works. I showed two shooters a trick for Anschutz 54’s that immediately pulled their Sporter scores up last August, all to do with a consistent firing pin hit. Consistency and a good gunsmith working with what he knows and understands is the key.
Ex – don’t get a Chevy man to fix a Ford. If a gunsmith doesn’t like or know an action don’t force him to work on it.
Bob Collins
Hope this helps, I think you will make it to the top. Learn as you go.
It took about 15 hours for this to load - must be a problem somewhere.

Bob, I would be interested in the tricks you used to 'tune' your Hall action. I've been thinking a heavier FP spring may help a little but interested in all the areas I need to tune on me Hall.

Purdy Rx Method

Bob:
I use the Purdy Rx Tuning Method and my Hall, and every other rifle I plan to use in competition. Great starting point when installing a new barrel or switching to a new premium brand ammo.

Lock Times

I would certainly like to see the lock times for a 40X, Hall, and Stiller 2500X, anyone have any data on those 3?

Back when Stiller was first making the 2500,

I would certainly like to see the lock times for a 40X, Hall, and Stiller 2500X, anyone have any data on those 3?

he wrote a piece on here about lock time with various actions and spring rates. I don't know if it can be found with a search but it was indeed informative. Perhaps he will chime in here and say it again. I remember BC being stressed about the conversation.

Pete

Back