rifle construction

does any one use a barrel block bedding system any more for 1000 yard shooting?
I read about such a thing on 6 mm br by bruce baur .
any pictures of your rifles ?
gary b

yes they do, hopefully you will get some pics on this thread.

gary b

Barrel Block

gary b

I do.......... they are an advantage.......... you are supporting barreled action at the center of gravity....... i,e. no receiver stress..... google subject... hit images... lotsa pics.....

bill

Last edited:
I don't know much about this so I'll ask. If a normally constructed short range benchrest rifle can shoot five groups (25 shots) and average less than 2 tenths of an inch, why is it better to use a block when the weight limit will allow such. Keith Gantt had a rail gun that the entire barrel was free (bedded action) and it shot really, really good. My rail has a barrel block and it also shot good. OK, I've said enough so I'll hush and get the skinny...I hope. Yep, I know we ain't talking the same yardage or calibers here but it seems a good question.

Blocks

I don't know much about this so I'll ask. If a normally constructed short range benchrest rifle can shoot five groups (25 shots) and average less than 2 tenths of an inch, why is it better to use a block when the weight limit will allow such. Keith Gantt had a rail gun that the entire barrel was free (bedded action) and it shot really, really good. My rail has a barrel block and it also shot good. OK, I've said enough so I'll hush and get the skinny...I hope. Yep, I know we ain't talking the same yardage or calibers here but it seems a good question.

With a 30"-35" long barrel.... straight 1-1/4".... it changes the CG and pressure put on action screws... glue in..... pillars..... esp. with a rem. like action....although most LR guns are built w/o blocks... I believe it is because of the xtra work involved.... that said... there are companies offering it at xtra charge.......

Last edited:
I have been having some conversations with a couple of long range rifle builders, and the subject that came up with both that explains why many do not use blocks, is something called positive compensation. Essentially, what this accomplishes is less vertical spread than differences in velocity and BC of individual shots would otherwise produce, and it has to do with having a certain amount of intentional flex in the system. Perhaps someone who is more qualified to post on this detail will jump in and give us some help on this particular aspect of long range that is different from short range.

barrel " block "

Gary -

Not a " barrel block " so much as it is a " barrel clamp ".

I use a doubled-up plumbers repair " clamp ", carriage bolts, torque plates borrowed from "U"bolts' and nylon insert jam nuts to secure my 6mm wildcat's barrel to the channel of
an aluminum "I" beam ( oriented and used as an "H" ).

24in lb torque on the jam nuts. Clamp is relocateable. I moved it fwd from initial contact w/ the recoil lug, to tune out undesired verticle.

Fore end an buttstock are fashioned out of 5/4 composite deck board. Cheek rest is removable for barrel cleaning.
Trigger guard made by re-shaping a galvanized conduit hanger.

My " DEEP 6 " wildcat is 1,000yd capable on either varmint or target, but I've not shot is a whole bunch @ that distance.

With regards,
.357Mag

Gary -

Not a " barrel block " so much as it is a " barrel clamp ".

I use a doubled-up plumbers repair " clamp ", carriage bolts, torque plates borrowed from "U"bolts' and nylon insert jam nuts to secure my 6mm wildcat's barrel to the channel of
an aluminum "I" beam ( oriented and used as an "H" ).

24in lb torque on the jam nuts. Clamp is relocateable. I moved it fwd from initial contact w/ the recoil lug, to tune out undesired verticle.

Fore end an buttstock are fashioned out of 5/4 composite deck board. Cheek rest is removable for barrel cleaning.
Trigger guard made by re-shaping a galvanized conduit hanger.

My " DEEP 6 " wildcat is 1,000yd capable on either varmint or target, but I've not shot is a whole bunch @ that distance.

With regards,
.357Mag

That is just freakin' beayootifull.........IF it shoots liddle round groups.......

I name it 'Mother-In-Law'

If it doesn't shoot little may I suggest you bed it? My experience is that the flexion at the root of the recoil lug is a huge driver of dispersion and it sure looks like you've a stand-off at the recoil lug???

ennyway.....'NUF a my speculating.

Good On Ya

I'ma go look for a pic of the 'Screen Door' BR Rifle.

barrel block

All -

Howdy !

I'm not the best shot... by no means.

My best ever 5-shot 100yd groups ( IMHO ) is included in the pics.

The rig WILL shoot... provided I do my part !!

With regards,
357Mag

barrel block

Alinwa -

Howdy !

The Wichita WBR1375 action shown, is " floated ", like many " barrel block " rifle actions are.

The clamp arrangement and comparative low recoil of the " DEEP 6 " wildcat (in a rifle this wt ) really negated need to use a recoil lug.
It was easiest for me all-around, to not re-do the set-up; to delete the lug.

If you enjoy quality craftsmanship then, turn away.... and protect the innocence of your eyes !

With regards,
.357Mag

Wilbur, I have a Hascuster rail like yours. I converted mine to be a cantilever or barrel block. Shoots the same accuracy both ways. Couple of advantages of the cantilever is there is not the bolt torque problem as with the block and I can shoot any barrel that will fit my Panda. So I can take a LV barrel and shoot it from the rail.

Back