Removing reamer burrs

Ricco1949

@ALINWA
"Sometimes when we barrel a rifle we create some tiny smears or burrs where the chambering reamer shears off the lands along the slope of the leade, I have some thoughts about WHY this happens, and how to prevent it, and even how to get rid of it mechanically, but I digress. It DOES happen. And when it happens a copper shine can occur in the first and last 2-4 inches of the barrel, but not in the middle. And I believe that most of the time you can "fix" this coppering phenomenon by shooting/cleaning/shooting/cleaning/shooting 3 to 5 to even 10-15 rounds and IF IT QUITS COPPERING......... it's fixed."

The above was posted in another thread by ALINWA and prompts this commentary and a following question.

My first 1000 yard HG barrel, a 1.750 brute, was chambered by a well regarded smith on this forum. The barrel was the best ever on that rifle. It won many relays and matches and had a top ten at its first Nationals.

At the time, circa 2003, the smith said I could wrap 0000 steel wool around a brush and short stroke the leade only to remove any burrs left from the reamer. He made it very clear that he does not perform the operation but leaves it up to the client to decide if it should be done.

Well, I did short stroke the leade on that barrel like described, however despite its success, I never did perform that procedure on another barrel.

And now for the question:

Does anyone else perform or recommend this 0000 steel wool short stroking operation on the leade as part of their break-in procedure??

Rick M.

On a centerfire, I let the flame do the work during break in. When I was chambering rf barrels..little different story. Not much heat there to work with and breaking in can take a while. On those, a bit of jb or similar seemed to do the trick. Those burrs look like a splintered 2x4 under a bore scope but are very tiny. The whole land may only be about .004 tall and that burr is a tiny fraction of that amount. It doesn't take much to get rid of it. I've often wondered if grinding the throat of a short cartridge would be the best way of finishing one but it'd be a pain to do.

Thanks for the reply Mike.

After 31 views and no response I was beginning to think that either:

1. I had just divulged one of the deepest inner most trade secrets
2. No one wants to admit to using such an idiotic move
3. No one's ever heard of or tried it

Rick M?

Rick M?

Rick..do a forum search,"Barrel Break in". A more recent discussion

"Barrel Break in......June precision Rifleman" Lots of info to get the wheels turning.

Good Luck,

Glenn

Rick M?

1. not really
2. not so idiotic
3. can't say

Back