Removing Paint form BR Stock

T

thumper4fun

I have a BR rig with an older McMillian/Bruno stock that I want to re-work. The stock is in great shape but I knocked a chunk of paint off using a side entry action wrench. It looks like there may be a couple different paint jobs applied to the stock and I would like to strip off all the old paint. So how is the best way to remove the paint without hurting the bedding job or damaging the stock?

thumper4fun.....Be very careful of chemical type paint strippers on fiberglass/synthetic/composite stocks. I just refinished an older McMillan fiberglass BR stock. I resorted to all hand sanding without any paint stripper....a lot more work than using chemical paint strippers. Turned out very stisfatory when finished. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'll second what gpoldblue said but, I have used with good success, the automotive strippers made specifically for rubber/plastic bumper covers that most all cars have now days. Test it on a small area first, because YMMV.:eek:

Ordinary paint strippers soften the gelcoat on fibreglass. There are paint stripper designed speciffically for use on fibreglass which can be safely used to remove paint from fiberglass! But care should be taken to avoid stripping all the way down to the glass fibers. Don't leave the stripper on too long . It should be left only long enough to soften the paint itself. You should be able to get what you need at some where like Lowes; if not you will find it at most boating supply outlets. As its used extensively when refurbing fibreglass boat hulls. It costs more than regular paint stripper, but will save you a lot of elbow grease. Especially, if as you say the stock's been painted a few times.

I'm afraid if I attempted to sand thru multiple layers of clear coat and paint my stock would have so many waves in it it would make you sea sick. Also, the butt of the stock is coffin shaped with multiple angles and flats for me to screw up. With my skill level, and lack of patience, I could see me ruining a good stock hand sanding.

In the past I have with great success used the petroleum based Goof Off.
One stock was an old McMillian stock.

Two years ago I visited the McMillan stock company in Phoenix.

Luckily I ran into the general forman on a preakat their outside picnic bench.

I asked about refinishing a fiberglas stock. He suggested the following:

Sand and fill all 'spots' and mold marks. He told me the name of filler to use. Off hand I dont recall but it is available at any auto parts/paint store. Sounds like it is available in small quantitys cause I doubt youd need more than a spoonful or so.

Sand it all smooth and then sand some more. Paint with whatever paint you want-from your auto or Tru-Value store. He emphasized-if you dont like it just do it again-it is only paint. Clear coat at the end.

Couple light coats are better than one heavy one with runs.

I also got to see the target with the smallest BR group evey shot. Truely unmeasurable. No I didnt have the camera along...

I use a razor blade. Get the angle right and it will roll right off. I've done quite few this way and never had any problems. Finish the tight spots with sand paper, fill in the seams and low spots, prime and paint. Learned the razor blade trick from Briar Hail.

Two years ago I visited the McMillan stock company in Phoenix.

Luckily I ran into the general forman on a preakat their outside picnic bench.

I asked about refinishing a fiberglas stock. He suggested the following:

Sand and fill all 'spots' and mold marks. He told me the name of filler to use. Off hand I dont recall but it is available at any auto parts/paint store. Sounds like it is available in small quantitys cause I doubt youd need more than a spoonful or so.

Sand it all smooth and then sand some more. Paint with whatever paint you want-from your auto or Tru-Value store. He emphasized-if you dont like it just do it again-it is only paint. Clear coat at the end.

Couple light coats are better than one heavy one with runs.

I also got to see the target with the smallest BR group evey shot. Truely unmeasurable. No I didnt have the camera along...

A couple comments.

On "just adding paint." Paint is heavy. On weight-controlled competitive guns the difference between a professional Bench Rest Grade paint job (Michael Kavanaugh, Briar Hale) can sometimes mean making weight or not..... on ONE paint job :)

On that small group...... :) ....... lots of legends and stories about that group! The Famous .009

Back