Removing Burrs from Chamber Leade 22 rf

bigh

Is there any method to remove burrs from the leade in a 22 rimfire chamber ? Can they be removed ? Thanks in Advance.

Bill Calfee (pronounced 'caffee') is a controversial figure. But IMO his book is well worth at least the $11.00 Kindle read (I actually own paper copies, because I'm weird like that) and he spends more time with the leade than anyone under the sun. He used to come on this forum until the Nice Folks drove him back under his rock....

I misdoubt you'll find many folks here who agree with his "hobbing" method of removing burrs but you have to ask y'erself "why?" as they don't seem to offer an alternative.

Maybe the RF forum is different.

For myself, I've "hobb'd", used a lap, used a bronze brush, used a bronze brush wrapped in 0000 and, lastly, just learned to hand-cut my throats and avoid them on CENTERFIRE rifles.

I know absolutely diddle about rimfire.

Using a lap is probably the most accepted way to finish up after cutting the chamber on Rimfire stuff but everyone has their own black art way of doing it. Some just let it go and accept that it will take 1-3k rounds to clean up(stainless barrels) on it's own but who has the time for that. Alot of what method to use depends on the quality of chamber cut and how much of a burr is present. Like Al refers to some methods of cutting the chamber result in near nothing left to worry about. It can be done with as little as some lapping compound, a few slugs, and some of those caliber sized cotton swabs. Just keep up with you work via borescope.

Tad

Bill Calfee (pronounced 'caffee') is a controversial figure. But IMO his book is well worth at least the $11.00 Kindle read (I actually own paper copies, because I'm weird like that) and he spends more time with the leade than anyone under the sun. He used to come on this forum until the Nice Folks drove him back under his rock....

I misdoubt you'll find many folks here who agree with his "hobbing" method of removing burrs but you have to ask y'erself "why?" as they don't seem to offer an alternative.

Maybe the RF forum is different.

For myself, I've "hobb'd", used a lap, used a bronze brush, used a bronze brush wrapped in 0000 and, lastly, just learned to hand-cut my throats and avoid them on CENTERFIRE rifles.

I know absolutely diddle about rimfire.

That there is/was a likely head fake which even he, likely, gave up on. In any event, it might pay to remember how long ago it was written.
These days the choices seem to come down to two, learn to cut a clean chamber or learn how to properly do a post chamber indexed lap.
It is one of the reasons , I guess, some guys just skip a reamer entirely and have learned how to bore a chamber, seems likely to yield a nicer finish without same risk of burrs.
Apparently a couple folks working in high end shops are doing them with precision high speed grinders.

Last edited:
I have all of the articles he shared in Precision Shooting.

If you tend to follow him, you will notice he will write something and a few months later contradict the previous tip.No doubt, plenty of good stuff but lots of head fakes as well.
These days seems to cut nothing but" perfect" chambers. Personification of humility.

Bill Calfee (pronounced 'caffee') is a controversial figure. But IMO his book is well worth at least the $11.00 Kindle read
(I actually own paper copies, because I'm weird like that)
You can make notes in the margins.
Almost always worth a look.

After 35+ years in the EW field I still had a boat load of books and IEEE articles with tons of notes in them.
Always print one side and an extra sheet at the beginning.
Something to mark notes on from the first page of the article.

Back