Remingtons 30AR Case

Jay Cutright

Anyone wildcatting this case yet?
I ordered an R-15 with a case of ammo for a coyote hunter & I just had to open the box to see what the 30AR was.
I took a picture of it next to a 6BRX with a 108 so you can see what I was thinking about.

Attachments

• 100_9874.jpg
    100_9874.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 340
With the odd rim size are you going to trim the rim or mod the bolt face ?

If I do it, I'll turn the cases to start. I haven't found bulk brass available yet and don't really want to start a wildcat knowing that Remington is the only source for brass.
I got to keep the sample in the picture so I'll pull the bullet and neck the case down to see how close the capacity is to a BRX/Dasher.
I really expected to hear that someone else is already doing this with good results and what reamer or print# to refer to when calling PT&G.

Sorry Jay. I stand corrected. It started out life with a .473 rim diameter but was later changed to keep it from being loaded and fired in a .450 Bushmaster. It was at the beginning, a shortened .284 Win. and had a .473 rim. I remembered it being changed for some reason when you pointed out that it didn't work in your bolt, and went and looked up the whys and what fors. Thanks.--Mike

I compared the case capacity of the 30AR with the BRX today. (I necked up a BRX case to 30 caliber to compare the 2)
I used water to fill a BRX case and then transfered it to the 30AR. It didnt quite fill it up.
I then necked up a Dasher case and filled it with water & found it to be the same as the 30AR.
Anyone had any experience with this brass? Will it hold up to the pressures of a Dasher?

Yep it will

I compared the case capacity of the 30AR with the BRX today. (I necked up a BRX case to 30 caliber to compare the 2)
I used water to fill a BRX case and then transfered it to the 30AR. It didnt quite fill it up.
I then necked up a Dasher case and filled it with water & found it to be the same as the 30AR.
Anyone had any experience with this brass? Will it hold up to the pressures of a Dasher?

Yes it will hold up - I have a hunter rifle that shoots very well with this round. Mine has a 35 deg shoulder though to get to 45gn water cap. I have a 6mm version on order as well.

Jerry

Back