Remington rifle settlement, including free trigger replacement, is official

I had heard that the most common scenario for Remington trigger failure was to engage the safety, pull hard on the trigger, then push the safety off and it would release the sear. I have always tested my Remington triggers that way and never had one release. I have adjusted most of my Remington triggers and always do a bump test. Again, no problem as long as I kept a reasonable minimum pull weight. Even though I've admittedly owned a lot of Remingtons, this is an insignificant sample size.

You have to think that all of the aftermarket triggers sold by Timney, RifleBasix, Jewell et al, are also a very small sample compared to all the triggers that Big Green has made over the years. If those firms had made 7.5 million triggers, would their failure rate have been higher?

I have no basis to knock or defend Remington other than anecdotes. Still, you have to wonder if dirt, excessive lubrication or whatever else may have had a hand in some failures.

I was not happy about the original X-mark trigger recall due to excessive glue on the adjustment screws. However, I think the current X-mark Pro is a fine hunting trigger if left at around 3 pounds. It breaks clean with no creep or overtravel. I can't ask for more. If I want a light trigger I buy one designed for that.

Unsafe handling practices is what brought harm to that young man and it was themselves who caused that harm but just won't accept the fact and take personal responsibility.

I'm pissed that's what

nuff said

we did get ourselves into this mess after all.... our own lazy fault.

I have 4 of the 700s that would likely qualify and some have had the triggers replaced with aftermarket triggers. Those 4 rifles were procured more than 20 years ago so maybe not. I've had a couple reworked by Neil Jones and I don't recall him saying that they were unsafe to tune. If what the article says is true about the internal memos and knowing there were issues, it defies common sense that they would not fix things. I won't be sending any of them in tho. Be cheaper for them to send me a voucher good for $50 off towards a Jewell.

Last edited:
One would think that there would be a utility where you could enter the serial number of your firearm and it would say if it was part of the replacement program.

I really think it all started years ago when a woman shot her son as she was putting her 700 into the back of a pick up truck. The son was in the cab.

I am a NRA Certified Range Safety Officer; however any idiot just might be able to figure out what things the mother did wrong.

1. The muzzle pointed in the wrong direction just for starters............................................

2.Oh! round in the chamber...........muzzle still pointed in the wrong direction.

3. No round in the chamber................muzzle still pointed in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Agree...

I really think it all started years ago when a woman shot her son as she was putting her 700 into the back of a pick up truck. The son was in the cab.

I am a NRA Certified Range Safety Officer; however any idiot just might be able to figure out what things the mother did wrong.

1. The muzzle pointed in the wrong direction just for starters............................................

2.Oh! round in the chamber...........muzzle still pointed in the wrong direction.

3. No round in the chamber................muzzle still pointed in the wrong direction.

Agree completely. This was the mother's fault...and I believe she knows it but can't own up to it. This is kinda like the law suit years ago against Auto Union when the mother backup and killed her son. She claimed uncontrolled acceleration. Years later she admitted she hit the accelerator instead of the brake.

I have owned several Remington rifles and had no trouble with any of the triggers. However, I did replace them with a Jewell trigger because I could safely set them to a much lighter weight.

Soak It

Neighbor asked me to check his trigger on his 700 Sendero, saying it way way too light and would go off when he sent the gun down on the Butt of the stock. First thing I did after confirming his comments, was to check the trigger weight. It measured all most 3 pounds. Never had one go off with this weight, while setting it down as he described. Took the tigger off the rifle and cleaned it. Reinstalled it, and checked the weight. Still right at 3 pounds. Set it down on the Butt Stock, and nothing. Bounced it three or four times, and it stayed cocked. Gave it back to my neighbor, and he checked it for himself. Happiest guy in the neighborhood. Remember, Cleanliness is next to keeping from shooting yourself in the foot.

I have also heard during the recall, people sending in their rifles and waiting 5-7 months to get them back. Rather just spring for a Jewel or Calvin Elite Timney.

Bob

I guess l've been lucky in the past 40+ years as l've never had a problem with these triggers. I have had a few in my shop where someone appeared to have attempted to lighten the pull by decreasing the sear engagement. If you don't know what your doing it's usually a bad idea. The mistake Remington made was making them adjustable.

I have seen multiple admonitions never to adjust the sear on a Remington trigger, so I haven't attempted it. If I can't get an acceptable pull I buy a new trigger.

I am hugely uncomfortable adjusting pre-accutrigger Savage triggers, either stock or aftermarket. They seem like overly complex, sensitive and unstable affairs. I would only touch one for purely target use. The "Target" accutrigger is OK but get it too light and it locks up unpredictably. In my opinion, an accutrigger on a hunting rifle should be left as delivered.

Got it Dave and what I was also thinking. When I was a wee lad Grandpa's neighbor and also a rancher always carried a loaded rifle in his pickup. He reached in to grab it one day by the muzzle and it went off and killed him. It was looked at as an accidental death or possibly a suicide as he was going through hard times. But it was never looked at to be the fault of the firearm itself. We live in a time where personal responsibility no longer exists sadly and the fault is being placed anywhere but.

I believe if you look

deeply into the settlement agreement, any owners of older Remington 721/722 rifles for example get a gift certificate for Remington merchandise, not a new trigger. Now that is just what I want to do...advertise a company that won't really correct a trigger they designed and that has been shown to be potentially problematic under certain use condition.

I have never been a Remington rifle fan, bolt handle too short, just too darn plain. They were the low price point rifles in their day. Do have a 722 257 Bob that is my wife's and works ok and a 721 '06 that needs a trigger replacement but I just can't bring myself to spend repair $ and a Remington.

I do like their shotguns...1100 and 11-87, Sportsman 58

Last edited:
deeply into the settlement agreement, any owners of older Remington 721/722 rifles for example get a gift certificate for Remington merchandise, not a new trigger. Now that is just what I want to do...advertise a company that won't really correct a trigger they designed and that has been shown to be potentially problematic under certain use condition.

It sounds like a very classic case of 'tolerance stacking.'

If the wrong set of tolerance variations occur at the same time the device fails.

On a production basis problems like this are usually fixed by adjusting the tolerance of a few parts most likely to contribute to the problem.

I was paid plenty of money to figure out how to fix tolerance stacking problems in electronics.

A few times I received large bonuses from customers.

Well into 5 figures.

Once the only change I made was that a single resistor (out of about 20 in the circuit) needed to be 2% instead of 5% tolerance.

Last edited:
Back