Remington 40X BR 6mm Remington

S

steelheadjoe

I just picked up a Remington 40X BR in 6mm Remington. Got lucky and found one in mint condition with a 26" barrel, blued action and a McMillan wood benchrest stock. My question is this... how much trouble would it be to re-chamber this for a 6mmBR or 6mmXC with a .274 neck. (don't want to turn necks on a thousand cases). Or since I want to use it in long range applications for Coyote's, say 300-500 yards out, should I just leave it alone and use the 6mm Remington as it is? I shoot a 22-250 ackley improved for ground squirrels and it is a tack driver. New to the 6mm, so any input is appreciated. Thanks and Semper Fi

I just picked up a Remington 40X BR in 6mm Remington. Got lucky and found one in mint condition with a 26" barrel, blued action and a McMillan wood benchrest stock. My question is this... how much trouble would it be to re-chamber this for a 6mmBR or 6mmXC with a .274 neck. (don't want to turn necks on a thousand cases). Or since I want to use it in long range applications for Coyote's, say 300-500 yards out, should I just leave it alone and use the 6mm Remington as it is? I shoot a 22-250 ackley improved for ground squirrels and it is a tack driver. New to the 6mm, so any input is appreciated. Thanks and Semper Fi

If it shoots leave it alone. You are somewhat limited in brass selection but that in itself shouldn't be a problem. Barrel life should be better than a .243 and performance every bit as good. I'm guessing it has a 9" twist. The 244's had a 12" twist. In other words the 6mm will do a better job with heavier bullets(100 gr and over) but the old .244 did just fine out to 500 yds. with lighter bullets.

I had one of those. It was made in 1967, by serial number. When I checked the twist, as best I could with a patch and cleaning rod, it was around an eleven twist. It shot 87 grain v maxes and 95 Noslers like a good factory rifle. I rebarreled with a Bartlein 9 twist. It shoots better now, but not a lot.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a 6mm Remington in doing what you want to do with it.

The brass situation is easily solved by simply running a 7x57 Mauser case into your 6mm full length die, trim to length. In reality, that is all a 6mm Rem is in the first place. The drawback is you will probably have to skin a few thousandths off the necks, but at least your cases would be perfect in that respect.

The only thing wrong with the originol 244 Rem was marketing. Remington wanted to market as a Varmint Chambering, the public wanted a deer rifle. The 1-12 twist barrels that Remington initially chambered the Rifles for would not stabilize the 100 grn bullets that the 243 Win handled quite well with it's faster twist barrels.

Many considered the 6mm over bore, but in today's world with such a wide selection of powders, it just might be the best 6mm for long range varmint use.

Last edited:
Jackie its hard to get 7x57, 6mm rem, and 257rob cases right now. Forming them from 30-06 is about the best option. I love the 6mm. Put an 8twist on it and it shoots the 105-115 very well or put the 12-14 on it and burn up those old br bullets!

i was not impressed with the weight variation in the 300 wsm brass
i bought. Nowhere near "match" IMHO.

Jackie its hard to get 7x57, 6mm rem, and 257rob cases right now. Forming them from 30-06 is about the best option. I love the 6mm. Put an 8twist on it and it shoots the 105-115 very well or put the 12-14 on it and burn up those old br bullets!

If you think that's bad,try to find 225 Winchester brass.

6MM remington twist.......

I've been led to believe that the .244 Rem had a 12" twist while the 6MM Rem had a 10" twist. Back in the '60s I bought a Rem 725 that was marked .244 Rem, but had a 10 twist! It was a transitional model, became my deer gun and handled 117 gr 's just fine!

Do check your 40X before you make any changes. Brass is only a temporary problem.

Ted

Back